Student Profile: Can Genc

Student smiling

Can Genc is in his second year of the BSc Business Psychology at the University of Kent.

What attracted you to studying at Kent?

My personal reason for feeling attracted to Kent was its diverse student population. Being a UK citizen, but growing up abroad in an international community was always something I found very valuable. The exposure and insight you can gain is very valuable while interacting with people from so many different cultures, and Kent is definitely a place where this happens.

I was also really attracted to the campus as its very big and has a lot of variety to offer and add to the student experience, as well as the amazing town and cathedral Canterbury itself offers. I also think the fact that it is only an hour away from London by highspeed train is also a great plus. 

How is your course going?

I love Business and Organisational Psychology! It is going very well. The course is designed to really get hands on knowledge with regards to real life psychological applications in the business world. The statistics module is also very hands on and really allows development of key employability skills and overall knowledge. I am very happy studying this degree because I feel like I am gaining key skills, insights, and connections to the real world of business. 

How would you describe your lecturers? What do you think about the level of support in your studies?

The School of Psychology lecturers are all amazing, seriously. Most undergraduate students might feel that lecturers are intimidating, but I feel like there isn’t a lecturer that I wouldn’t be able to speak to in our school.

They all offer great support and are almost always available to speak to and ask questions to. It is also great that the school itself is so research driven. Lecturers love talking about their own research and they always have research to talk about.  

The level of support in place is also very strong and affective. The school offers feedback sessions, forums for questions, student support services, and many workshops! So, there is always time to ask questions and find help. 

Which modules have you enjoyed the most, and why?

I would have to say I enjoyed the module Developing Leadership, Enterprise and Initiative Taking Skills because it really is very hands on. The lectures and seminars consist of many industry leading external speakers such as CFO’s, Human Resources Directors, and more. However, this module is also very fun because of the Business Plan assignment it offers as its coursework. This piece of coursework allows students to choose any business or industry they would like to anywhere in the world and propose a business and business plan using psychology to back some of our decisions. My group has chosen to introduce renewable energy based electric scooters to Canterbury as a competitor to the bus services by offering electric scooters at a subscription rate. So, as you can see this is something that we have chosen simply because we can! 

How would you describe your fellow students?

I would say that my peers are mostly as motivated as I am. We have many student groups to chat and help each other out and everyone is very friendly! We all support each other as much as we can in a respectful manner, and it is also great for me as a Student Rep to use this platform to gather feedback I can give to the school. Overall, I think most people will find that everyone is in the same boat, going through the same struggles, interested in the same things, and generally open minded. 

What are the facilities like on campus?

The Canterbury campus is great! We have many different options for all sorts of student needs. I spend a lot of time in Keynes College which is where the School of Psychology is based. We have a bar, we have our own restaurant, we have seating outside by the duck pond, and we have many social spaces! This is typical and almost all of the colleges of campus will offer their own versions of these facilities.

The library is also a cool spot on campus to meet for group work or to have a coffee in the café section. Along with this, we also have a sports centre with a fully equipped gym and physiotherapy centre, as well as basketball and volleyball courts, football pitches, rugby pitches, tennis courts, and almost anything you could think of. 

What about the social life?

I have been involved in running the Turkish Society, I was Vice-President for two years and it was very enjoyable. We worked along with many other societies to organise nights out at certain clubs in town. Along with this I also love music and DJ’ing, I’d say it’s a passion and I have made a lot of friends DJ’ing for society events and on my own at clubs.

Kent offers many social activities, there is almost always something going on for everyone from clubs, to pubs, to quizzes, to the theatre, our own on campus cinema, and almost everything you could want and ask for. 

There are also many guest speakers and conferences students are able to attend and get involved with. These are not only great events to network with academics and professionals but are also a social experience I recommend all students take advantage of. 

What kind of career do you hope to follow when you leave, and why?

I hope to take a career Human Resources and Data Analysis. I think with the rapid change Covid-19 has brought society and the constant development and push for new technology, vaccines, services, and products the need for business psychology has never been more important. I am hopeful in a sense that this degree is offering many skills that current employers are looking for in new graduates and applicants for their jobs, as well as many new opportunities are opening up in this field of work. For me personally it is an interest, so I feel very passionate about this field of work, and hopefully I can achieve my goals!

Is there anything else you would like to share about your time at Kent?

I think my time at Kent has been great, I first completed the foundation programme and graduated from it in 2019, I also received the Academic Excellence Prize for Social Sciences which came with a scholarship. I then later connected with the Turkish community and became Vice-President for the Turkish Society for two years. I was a student rep in Stage 1 of the course and have now become a senior student rep for Stage 2. I am now also a Global Officer completing the GOLD programme which is an extra-curricular academic course.

Finally, I am most proud to be a student ambassador for the School of Psychology at Kent representing the university to potential applicants and promoting the great experiences, opportunities, and education I’ve had from a student perspective.

Find out about the BSc in Business Psychology