Holiday Survival Guide 2020

We know that we shouldn’t assume that the holidays are a time of celebration and jollity for everyone -Christmas can be a difficult time for people in the best of times, let alone in a worldwide pandemic. We asked the staff at the school to offer their Holiday Survival tips, some ideas to help bring some balance if ever things are feeling insurmountable over the next month. We’ll be sharing them on our social media channels, as well as some tips from our students, around blended learning. Here is the complete list. 

Dr Kristof Dhont, Senior Lecturer in Psychology | Director of Graduate Studies – Research 

1) Get prepared for Veganuary: Try some new vegan recipes and explore the vegan product range in the supermarkets. So much choice these days!   

2) Go for walks: Explore the beautiful countryside and seafront. Besides the physical benefits,  

walking can boost your mental health! 

Dr Lindsey Cameron 

So for me, I’m going to share this film with a cracking soundtrack, Wild Rose and my favourite podcastKermode and Mayo’s Film Review   

John Allen  

Has suggested Foodgeek’s channel on YouTube – He’s a sourdough guru and has helped keep me sane during the past year. 

Check out his playlists. A good place to start is this one that shows you how to make your own starter – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU2z8u7MErI&list=PLL03Y2G6kvdvQiqPbgrq61IWNFaOW4rYE , or, if you don’t think you want to bake but you just want to while away a few minutes this is a nice one on bread scoring patterns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfoC-daJq8E&list=PLL03Y2G6kvdvQiqPbgrq61IWNFaOW4rYE&index=12 

Dr Hannah Swift 

My holiday survival guide is 

1. Listen to a super interesting podcast such as ‘The Missing Cryptoqueen on BBC sounds  
  1. Try and slow downTED Talk by Journalist Carl Honoré ‘In praise of slowness’. He believes the Western world’s emphasis on speed erodes health, productivity and quality of life. But there’s a backlash brewing, as everyday people start putting the brakes on their all-too-modern lives.  
  1. And try a seasonal sea swim – Sea is 5’c here.  

Samantha Critchley – Student Support Officer 

I bought this myself on Amazon and it is written by a Kent Student! Really good read.  

Also I have this bedtime yoga image which I also try to do which helps with better sleep.