British Summer Time: Strikes, Brexit, Environmental Impact and another Conservative Party Leadership Election. We respond to the heat in this month’s news round up.
The UK: Is the Party Over?
- Professor Matthew Goodwin loves a Conservative Party Leadership Election. He wrote on the fall of Boris Johnson and the role the new Conservative party leader will need to play in order to capitalise on his gains in the next election for The Daily Mail. How Rich Rishi could pose a ‘risk’ to the Tory Party in the Daily Express and on Sky News. Commented on Penny Mordaunt views’ being at odds with Red Wall voters in the The Telegraph and also quoted by The Times and The New Statesman. But in his newly launched Substack announced his prediction ‘Its going to be Liz’.
- The Global Europe Centre provides independent views on the challenges Europe is facing in a rapidly changing world. Catarina M. Liberato, PhD Candidate blogged on the issue still dividing the Conservative Party: Brexit.
- Professor Fearghal Cochrane writes that the recent industrial action by members of the RMT has made a century-dead trade unionist, James Connolly, the political voice of the summer. Read here.
- On Thursday 14 July, the Class of 2022 graduated in Canterbury Cathedral and celebrated with a reception in Westgate Hall. We were able to catch up with them informally raise a toast to their achievements and announce this year’s academic prize winners. View the photos.
- Tamika Adamson who applied through clearing, hadn’t planned to take the degree she just graduated with, but has gained much more than she had ever envisioned. Read here.
- Professor Richard Sakwa opened the latest Italian Institute for Political Studies (IPSI) report with a reflection on Russia’s “green shift”. Read the full report.
- Dr Harmonie Toros and Matthew Boakes, PhD candidate, took part in a Cyber Security Oxford podcast on responsibility and power in cyber security. Learn more.
- Dr Tim Aistrope has co-authored an article opening a new research agenda on the imagination in the field. Read here.
- Dr Yaniv Voller commented in AlJazeera on the increased Israel-Iran confrontations. Read here.