After Kent – Catching up with Margaux Cabanel

Many students have passed through Kent but what they up to now? In the After Kent series, we talk to Margaux Cabanel about her journey After Kent. Margaux studied a BA (Hons) in Politics and International Relations between 2016 to 2019.

What do you miss the most about studying Politics at Kent? 

What I miss the most is the atmosphere. We always had very respectful debates, and no one was ever patronizing to one another. I would also say there were many opportunities to get involved, whether in a society or as a student panellist. And the rabbits on the campus, of course! They’re a delight to see, especially in Spring! 

What are you up to now?  

I am currently doing a Masters in Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Geneva. The different modules I did at Kent, most notably ‘Politics of the Middle East’ taught by Dr Yaniv Voller made me want to learn more about this field. I will spend my next semester as an exchange student at the American University of Cairo. 

How has studying Politics at Kent prepared you for the future/current position?

Studying at Kent, in a multicultural environment made me broaden my perspectives and taught me that things are always more complex than they seem to be. It also taught me how to actively listen and gave me some very useful mediation skills. 

What advice would you give potential/current Politics students? 

I would advise making the most of your time at Kent. Explore the beautiful countryside and historic city, go to conferences, get out of your comfort zone! I chose some modules I had no interest in, but I liked them very much. Also, never hesitate to seek help (campus security, therapist, career advisers), you’ll be treated with kindness. 

What do you plan to do in the future? 

At Kent, I discovered an interest in security and the military field. Therefore, I would like to work as a consultant in the French military or in an international security firm. 

If you are a POLIR alumni and studied either an undergraduate, postgraduate or PhD degree with us and would like to share your story, contact us, we would love to hear from you!

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter