Student profile: David Mojibola

BA Politics and International Relations

David Mojibola, Politics student

We quizzed BA Politics and International Relations student, David, about why he chose Kent and his experience of studying here.

What attracted you to studying at Kent?

Upon my first visit to the university, my conversations with the Admissions and Recruitment Officers influenced my impression of Kent as not only a diverse university, but also one which inspires excellence and encourages inclusivism. Their respective accounts assured me of the character and friendly culture which exists at the university – I was excited by the prospect of being a part of this.  

How is your course going?

I am enjoying it a lot. One noteworthy thing about Politics and International relations is the course is very flexible; this means you can pick and choose from a wide array of modules, which best take your fancy. For me, the appeal of Politics has developed through being able to pick modules which critically analyse political positions and how the grand ideological narratives are fast becoming fragmentary.   

How would you describe your lecturers?

Honestly speaking, the lecturers within the course are very welcoming. There are the lecturers’ office hours which allow you to book one-to-one sessions online. Also, despite the COVID-19 pandemic, my lecturers have continued to be very active across their emails virtually 24/7; I have never had to wait more than a day to get an answer to any queries I might have. They go above and beyond to make sure we get the most out of our modules and course.  

The lecturers… go above and beyond to make sure we get the most out of our modules and course.

Which modules have you enjoyed the most, and why?

For me, my favourite module to date was Politics of the European Union, the lecturer was fantastic. This module was particularly useful for understanding the multifaceted relationships between nations within the political and economic union. More importantly, I found as we are currently living through the developments of the EU it was more exciting; as being on the module gave me a first-hand appreciation for how important it would be for the UK government to conduct themselves when seeking to get deals done. 

How would you describe your fellow students?

Amongst my peers, I have created so many memories which I will hold onto. After coming to the university, I found that it was very diverse, there is no one type of Kent student. I have met so many wonderful people from different backgrounds and walks of life.  

After coming to the university, I found that it was very diverse, there is no one type of Kent student. I have met so many wonderful people from different backgrounds and walks of life. 

What are the facilities like on campus?

From the first day I arrived, one particularly noteworthy thing about Kent is, we have great access to different services and facilities. From study spaces for groups to multiple silent study areas not only in the refurbished library but dotted all around campus. There is also a multitude of places to grab a bite around the university, I feel like we have everything anyone could ever need in one space.  

What about the social life?

I think this is one of the biggest worries when choosing any university. Honestly speaking, the social life at the university and more generally Canterbury can be described as vibrant, numerous and enjoyable. I can say restaurants, bars and spaces have really adapted in Covid-19; there is always something open and enjoyable to do.  

Have you used the University’s Careers and EmployabilityService?

Using the fantastic team at the University’s Careers and Employability Service has provided me with the opportunity to work as part of the Civil Service Fast Stream on their summer programme 2021. The staff were so helpful when it came to writing my CV and reviewing my application. Also, the weekly reminders of deadlines and available Microsoft Teams meetings, have provided me with invaluable tips and skills which I will carry with me into the future.  

What kind of career do you hope to follow when you leave, and why?

As an aspiring lawyer with an international outlook, studying Politics and International relations alongside other legal work experience makes it the ideal place to build on my interest in corporate law. I hope to finish off my degree and carry this with me when it comes to taking on the law conversion. However, the course is so fluid that there is an array of different career routes I could choose from, for example, diplomacy, policymaking or even teaching.

As an aspiring lawyer with an international outlook, studying Politics and International relations alongside other legal work experience makes it the ideal place to build on my interest in corporate law.

Any advice to somebody thinking of coming to Kent?

I would say come to the university and get a feel for the environment if possible, try to imagine yourself living here for the next 3-4 years. Also, try everything and be open-minded as this could perhaps be one of the last opportunities you get to have everything in one place at your disposal.  

Is there anything else you would like to share about your time at Kent?

As the Vice President for the University of Kent African & Caribbean Society (ACS), I have been heavily involved in the organisation of one the largest meet and greet events in my University. Aside from academia, I played an active role, playing in the inter-college league, with my team Eliot Academics.