Where are they now? Sinead Rowe

Sinead studied for a PhD in Physics. Read about her experience at Kent what she’s been up to since graduating.

What was your dream job as a child, and what is your dream job now?

My dream job as a child was either a vet or a scientist. My dream job now is working in a lab in research and development.

Why did you choose Kent?

They offered an undergratuate course I was interested in, and then they offered a PhD project that interested me.

What are your favourite memories from your time at Kent?

My favourite memories are the friends I made, spending time exploring the countryside around the campus, and the experiments I undertook for my PhD research.

What have you been up to since graduating?

I have been working in the medical device industry, as a materials engineer.

What does your role involve?

My job role is mostly failure analysis, where I root out causes, issues and complaints for the medical devices my company produces. I also offer support for research and development within the company.

How do you apply the knowledge and skills you gained during your studies in your job and what advice would you give to students and fellow alumni?

I have to use a lot of different pieces of equipment and measurement techniques in my current role, from my PhD I learnt how to adapt to new techniques and how to learn how to use equipment quickly. I would advice current students to try as many things as possible and to never be afraid to ask for help.

What are your future plans / aspirations?

My future plans are to continue working within the science community. I would like to learn as much as possible in my current role.

What advice would you give to current students doing your course?

Don’t be too hard on yourself if something isn’t working. Always ask around and be open to discussions with other students, you never know when someone will help you break past a rut you may be in.

If you could go back in time would you still choose this course?

I think I would, even though it was hard and required a lot of work and stress I still believe it was a good choice and it has helped me in my furture career.