Targeted Outreach Offer 2023/24

Support for Care Experienced or Estranged Students Looking to go to HE

If you are supporting any care experienced or estranged students who are interested in going to university, or have already applied, we have a dedicated range of support to help them learn more about student finance, accommodation, and student support and wellbeing at university.

Who are care experienced and estranged students?

  • Being care experienced means you will have spent time living with foster carers under local authority care, in residential care (e.g. a children’s home), looked after at home under a supervision order, or in kinship care with relatives or friends, either officially (e.g. a special guardianship order) or informally without local authority support.
  • A care leaver is someone who has been in the care of the Local Authority for a period of 13 weeks or more spanning their 16th birthday.
  • An estranged student is someone who is studying without the support or approval of their parents due to a breakdown in relationship.

How we can help

Designated Member of Staff (DMS)

The University has designated members of staff for care leaver and estranged students. You can contact them if you need any advice before you start your degree and while studying. They will help you to find any support you need. Please get in touch with Shauna-Aine O’Brien, Targeted Outreach Manager at University of Kent, and also DMS for care experienced and estranged students for any inquiries, including:

  • UCAS applications
  • Personal statements
  • Clearing
  • Open day and applicant day travel costs
  • Applying for accommodation
  • Student finance

Got a question or want to chat? Email

More information: