What is the Mentoring and University Insights Project for LGBTQ+ Students?
If you are considering going to university and want to learn more about the experiences of LGBTQ+ students, this is a unique opportunity to discover and explore. This programme has been developed with LGBTQ+ student ambassadors who are looking forward to sharing their experiences with you.
What can I expect to do in the project?
The project will cover the following topics:
- Practical considerations to help when researching universities
- Information on extra-curricular activities available at universities, such as scholarships and research opportunities
- An insight into support available at universities
- Social opportunities available, including a taster of the University of Kent’s LGBTQ+ Society
- How to find ways to include LGBTQ+ culture and identity in your academic studies
Each session will include an interactive talk from a member of University of Kent’s community and the chance to share questions and ideas with student ambassador mentors.
One of our student ambassadors, Anton, shares some insights here:
Going into University, there will always be questions that need answering, and for an increasing number of us, one of the most important is, how will I fit in? You wonder whether people will accept you, and how your relationships will be viewed… Well the truth is this, being a member of the LGBTQ+ community is only a small part of what defines you, it’s your actions, kindness, openness (to name a few) that people will notice the most. These are what will form those long-lasting friendships, and make you feel at home with your newfound friends.
As a gay man, I had no idea how people in my household would react to me having my partner round every so often, that was a genuine worry for me; as it turned out they ended up getting on really well, we had social nights and day trips, and it was like he lived in the house with us. We live in a progressively diverse world and University has never been a better place to settle as an LGBTQ+ student. I’m sure you will still have plenty of questions and we’ll do our best to answer those over the course of this project; just know that your life, your household, is what you make it, and you can always find a sense of belonging, no matter where you are.
When is the Project?
The next project will be held from April to June 2022, and will be run online in live sessions, with a final session on the University of Kent’s Canterbury Campus.
- Four online sessions on Wednesdays (27 April, and 4, 11, 18 May, from 17.00 to 18.15)
- One campus visit to University of Kent’s Canterbury campus on Wednesday 1 June, from 11.00 to 15:00.
To take part, you will need to be available to attend all the sessions.
How do I apply?
To apply, please click this link to complete the application form. Completing the form will take approximately 10 minutes. Please provide your personal details and tell us what you are doing at school or college now, and what you would like to do in the future. This programme is designed to widen access to university, so there will be some questions to ask how you feel about university and your plans for the future.
The deadline for submissions is Friday 11 March 2022. Unfortunately, we will be unable to accept any late submissions. The programme is free for all participants.
Am I eligible?
The Mentoring and University Insights Project is designed to help you think about your future and feel more confident about your next steps. You do not have to be planning to go to University to apply for the course, but if you are thinking of doing so or are not sure, the sessions will help you decide whether University is right for you.
- Be a level 3 student in a sixth form or college in Kent or Medway (studying A Levels, Level 3 BTECs, IBCP, IB, T Levels etc)
- Want to learn about the experiences of LGBTQ+ university students
- Identify as being from one of the following groups:
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, or identifying as part of the wider LGBTQ+ Community
- An ally of the LGBTQ+ community
If you have any questions about the project, please get in touch with email@example.com.