MA Architecture and Urban Design (Paris) – Student Profile – Tamilore Oni

What made you choose to study the MAUD with a term in Paris?
During my bachelor’s degree, I became especially interested in the urban design (the design of cities) aspect of Architecture. As a result, I tailored my search for a Masters programme to finding one that would specifically address that topic. I came across the MAUD (Paris option) programme online, and was immediately taken with the idea of studying about urbanism in a city rich in architectural and urban history.

Can you describe the Paris campus for those who have not been before?
The Paris campus is in Reid Hall which is located in Montparnasse which is a very nice, busy part of Paris with lots of cafés, cinemas, theatres and shopping. Montparnasse is home to the famous Le Bon Marché, the Tour Montparnasse (at the top of which you can get one of the best view of Paris), and the tunnels of the Paris Catacombs run beneath it. Reid Hall is on a street off the major Boulevard du Montparnasse. It is a three-storey group of buildings. The premises are shared with the students and staff Columbia University. It has a little courtyard which is nice for seating to chat or have lunch. Seminars and classes are held in a well-equipped room, and it is has constant internet supply. There a couple of vending machines for snacks and coffee on the ground floor. There loads of cafés, and “sandwicheries” around, so you won’t go hungry! Staff from the University of Kent are always available to help in any way.

Tamilore with Prof Gerry Adler in Paris
Tamilore with Prof Gerry Adler in Paris

What module have you enjoyed the most and why?
I can’t say I have a distinct favourite. The Paris modules are really great because you talk about something in class, and then literally just walk out to see it – either during a trip organised by the school, or on your own.

The MAUD gives you the freedom to study modules from other departments; what did you decide to study and how did this benefit you?
I chose the Paris: Reality and Representation module, and I think it was a great choice. It is essentially a literature module where you examine the urban, social, economic, and political representations of Paris in selected works, bearing in my mind the actual conditions of the time. It is interesting to see the various impressions that individuals had about the city.

Are you enjoying exploring the city of Paris?
Yes, very much. There is so much to see and do. It’s been a great experience; well worth it, I would say.

What is the support like on your programme?
Prof Gordana Fontana-Giusti, and Miss Friedman helped me with my move from Canterbury to Paris. I also got help with my visa application and the programme coordinators assisted me in every way they could, and that was extremely helpful. The staff in the office over here are friendly and approachable.

After the programme, what are you planning to do?
I am looking to see if I can get any work experience, or research opportunities. I am very interested on furthering my studies in urban design. I am considering going further with a PhD.

For advice on finding accommodation in Paris, please visit our blog.