Academic Peer Mentor – Rebekah Tien

Stage 3 – BA (Hons) Architecture

I signed up for the mentoring scheme mainly out of curiosity, and did not expect to gain a lot from the experience. However, I did learn a lot from it, and really enjoyed the whole process. For me, being a mentor not only allowed me to help my mentees, but also to learn from the process and to learn from the mentees. It is very interesting to me to see how other people cope with the same problems I have experienced when I was in first or second year; and very rewarding to see my advice being taken on board and to learn from the solution finding process. I am very happy and very proud to see my mentees enjoying the course and I am very thankful for this amazing experience that helped me grow so much. Overall I think the mentoring scheme is a perfect opportunity for students in KSA to connect, to support, and to learn from each other.

Mentee: Gugulethu Moyo

Having a mentor is something I would encourage students to do, especially architecture students. Often it is hard to strike the right balance between school life and social life and having the guidance from someone who has been through it, makes a massive difference. Rebekah has been an awesome influence to be around. She has always encouraged reading ahead and also ran some CAD classes to help us to stay on track with this fast paced course. Having a mentor is something I would encourage but also something that shouldn’t be taken for granted!