KMTV ‘making the cut!’

Kent Press and Broadcasting Awards 2021

For 18 months the world as we knew it was turned upside down and inside out by the Covid-19 pandemic. While most of us stayed at home out of harm’s way, life for the team at KMTV has for the most part been business as usual. Reporting on local news stories, seeking out new and exciting shows and creating features on Covid-19 has been recognised by the Kent Press and Broadcasting Awards.

Five KMTV journalists were shortlisted in the Kent Press and Broadcast Awards 2021 in the following categories:

• Kent Feature Journalist of the Year (Broadcast)
    • Joe Coshan, KMTV
    • Phil Wellbrook, KMTV
  • Kent New Journalist of the Year
    • Katya Fowler, KMTV
    • Tommaso Dimiddio, KMTV 
    • Ollie Collins, KMTV
  • The Neil Bell Kent Sports Journalist of the Year
    • Ollie Collins, KMTV
    • Joe Coshan, KMTV
  • The 2020 Award
    • KMTV

We are very proud of the work Katya has produced over the past year and it was no surprise to us that she won the Kent New Journalist of the Year award. Congratulations from us all at KMTV!

“Winning the award was a huge shock, as I was against great competition. This is my second time being shortlisted for the award, so to finally win is incredible. I’m so glad awards like this exist to highlight the newer journalists in this huge industry. It just goes to show what amazing opportunities KMTV can bring your way!” Katya Fowler

Another KMTV reporter Tommaso Dimiddio received Highly commended in the same category.

Being shortlisted first and then highly commended for this year’s Kent new journalist makes me so proud. It really shows how far I’ve come since moving out of my home country to study journalism in the UK back in 2016. Since the first day I came through the KMTV newsroom door as an intern, this TV station has provided me with an exciting platform to explore the profession in so many different ways. I am so curious to see what more is yet to come!” Tommaso Dimiddio