This page will bring you news of courses (not professional training such as LPC/BTPC nor postgraduate degrees) that have come to my attention which you may be interested in. There may be many more opportunities that never make it onto this page. Please note, if the courses are external to the University of Kent they can not be endorsed by the law school – the information has generally been received by a mail shot from the provider and is simply collated here for your convenience. We recommend that you make thorough checks before paying for any course.
Courses at the University of Kent
Global Officers Leadership Development (GOLD) Programme.
This programme is a great opportunity to engage with Kent’s internationalisation activities across the university and develop your skills and knowledge.
The programme is a co-curricular venture, designed to fit around your academic studies. It provides a framework of activities for globally-minded undergraduates at Kent to develop their leadership skills, global citizenship and cultural awareness.
For more information see www.kent.ac.uk/global/officers/
Applications close 30th September 2019
LANGUAGE EXPRESS (kent.ac.uk/language-express)
- Most courses run from 18.00-20.00
No assessments – emphasis on speaking
Course fee: £238 (Kent students)
Languages Available include: Arabic, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin, Russian
WORLD LANGUAGE MODULES AS AN EXTRA(kent.ac.uk/cewl)
- Languages as Extra allows you to study our credit-bearing language modules as extra curricular modules and will not interfere with your credits.
- Course fees:
- £284 (15 credit modules)
- £568 (30 credit module)
ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ACADEMIC SKILLS (ELAS) WORKSHOPS (kent.ac.uk/cewl)
ELAS for international students whose first language is not English.
Free courses designed to help you improve your English language and give you the chance to discuss your specific academic difficulties.
- Essay writing
- Presentation Skills
- Listening/Note-taking Skills
- Good Academic Practice and Referencing workshop
- Individual Writing Tutorials
- Individual Speaking Tutorials
ELAS sessions run throughout the week, from weeks 2-6 in the Autumn term and weeks 14-18 in the Spring term. You can choose sessions which are compatible with your own lecture and study timetable.
Sign up via SDS under English Language Workshops and Target Connect
Try something different
• British Sign Language Level 1 and 2 certificated courses accredited by Signature. Open to all students (and staff).
• CELTA (Cambridge Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages): an internationally recognised qualification to teach English as a foreign language and the gold standard for EFL teaching. We run a full-time intensive course from 15 June-16 July 2020. Open to anyone who wants to qualify to teach EFL to adults and who has a suitable competence in English (minimum C2/C1 CEFR).
Courses outside of University of Kent – Law Related
Linklaters Digital Law Internship – Free programme
This programme is designed to provide you with an insight on what it’s like to work at Linklaters. “You will get to sample the cutting-edge work our trainees and lawyers do every day. You will get to build legal skills and better understand what a career at Linklaters offers.”
The programme is open to all students, from a law or non-law background. The tasks move through the lifecycle of a deal. You will receive video instructions from partners, access resources to help with the tasks and submit work that reflects day to day responsibilities of a commercial lawyer.
You are not assessed but you will receive model answers so that you can self-mark your work.
This programme take 5-6 hours to complete but there is no time restriction on completing the tasks.
Practice Psychometric Tests