Become a solicitor
Everything you want to know about what a solicitor is and how to become one.
Timeline of actions
- Stage 1: see the stage 1 timeline for a list of suggested actions to take to develop your career.
- Stage 2: this timeline will be available by 12 October.
Essential criteria, skills and qualities
- An academic record
- All firms will seek a consistently high level of achievement but some will specify that you must have particular grades at both A-level (or equivalent) and degree. Normally firms seeks a 2:1 in your degree and AAB / ABB at A-level or the equivalent.
Skills and qualities which they will seek include:
- Adaptability / Flexibility – can you deal with new ideas and challenges?
- Analysis – can you think clearly through a problem?
- Commercial awareness – see here.
- Communication – Can you explain complex issues clearly and simply? Can you fluently articulate your thoughts
- Creativity – can you see alternative ways to approach and solve problems?
- Enthusiasm, Drive and Determination – do you fit a lot into your life?
- Organisation and Time management – you’ll need to be able to keep up with developments in the law, your clients’ businesses and the cases they are working on. Can you multi-task?
- Teamwork – you need to enjoy working with others both colleagues and clients.
Develop commercial awareness
Open days and workshops
Skills, qualities and essential criteria
The application process
1st year work experience