Finding work as a law graduate
About this page
This blog makes no attempt to list pupillages and training contracts – this is left to those websites which specialise in such listings i.e. LawCareers.Net / AllAboutLaw (see the Careers Information page). However, occasionally a set of Chambers or a solicitors Firm will write to KLS specifically and ask us to advertise their vacancies. This page will detail those personal approaches. Unless indicated KLS has no special relationship with the Chambers/firm and is not able to make any kind of endorsement. The details are brought to you on this platform for convenience.
KENT’S LATEST VACANCIES Keep an eye on the University’s online vacancy database http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/jobs/index.htm which is updated almost daily throughout the year with new vacancies. You can register to search the database for specific vacancies and to be emailed when new vacancies of relevant interest to you are added. There is also an automatic Twitter feed of all the vacancies that are posted on the Vacancy Database, which can be accessed at https://twitter.com/unikentces
- The vast majority of pupillages are advertised via the pupillage gateway http://www.pupillagegateway.com/
- Occasionally a pupillage will be advertised on an individual chambers’ website.
The following two websites collate all of the training contracts available with full details of the firm, deadlines, salary etc. You are able to build a profile on-line and save your searches.
Paralegals and other legally related jobs
The numbers of paralegals are increasing and more and more firms are recruiting their trainees from their paralegals. As such, organisations specialising in helping you to find paralegal work are increasing. The below are brought to you in the hope that they will help but KLS cannot endorse any of them specifically.
- http://jobs.legalcheek.com/ – the jobs here are a selection from recruiters.
- www.thestephenjamespartnership.co.uk this is a specialist recruitment agency for paralegals “run by paralegals”. As at May 2014 they had placed paralegals with 50% of the top 100 UK law firms, and claimed to have “substantial contracts with a number of investment banks and FTSE 100 companies“. It doesn’t cost to register with them but they do offer paid for services such as CV writing.
- http://www.totallylegal.com/ – Recruitment website for legal professional. Private practice, in-house and public sector.
- http://www.search.co.uk/jobs/professional-services/legal – Search places candidates in legal roles across the UK and Channel Islands. They claim to have “close links with the legal community and can help you gain a new role within the public sector, in-house legal departments and private practices.”
- Institute of Paralegals – http://www.theiop.org
- The National Association of Licensed Paralegals – http://www.nationalparalegals.co.uk
- To get free up-to-date information about the paralegal world subscribe to The Paralegal – the journal for the paralegal profession. Visit http://www.theiop.org/utilities/e-newsletter.html
- An alumni of KLS has recommended the following agency and they do seem to have a number of paralegal jobs: http://www.michaelpage.co.uk
- https://www.graduate-jobs.com/degree/law – search for any graduate job but this link takes you to the legal/legally related ones.
See the listings on the central Careers & Employability Services’ website here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/ces/student/findajob.html