The events shown below are brought to your attention as they may be of interest to some of you. Unless otherwise stated the University of Kent is not involved in any of them and cannot endorse any.
Law related events are shown first (in date order) and generic careers events or ones that may appeal to students looking for alternative careers are second.
EVENTS FOR FUTURE BARRISTERS
- Inner Temple’s In Focus Event: Disability at The Bar – January 22nd 2020, Doors open – 6.00pm Venue: To be confirmedThis event is focused on disability at the bar and we want our discussion to include hidden disabilities. The event is a roundtable format, and we are hoping for interaction amongst our guests and speakers. We welcome any members who identify with, and are willing to share their experiencesBookings/Cancellations: via website here https://www.innertemple.org.uk/becoming-a-barrister/in-focus/in-focus-disability-at-the-bar/
Keep your eye on the events at the Inns:
- Tours of Inner Temple – available alternating Wednesdays (10.30am) and Fridays (2.30pm).
Book as an individual or with a group (max. 20 people). Tours offer a chance to see the Inner Temple and to gain insight into the following areas: Education and Training activities available to those on the GDL and BPTC; Advice on legal work experience; Explanation of the scholarships process; Tour of the Library (subject to staff availability); Q&APlease email email@example.com to make a booking. http://innertemple.org.uk/prospective-members/forthcoming-events
Only the above Inn (Inner Temple) has a dedicated Events page for prospective members. So, to find out what is on at the other Inn’s you’re going to have to trawl through their full calendar! Here’s the links to those calendars:
EVENTS FOR FUTURE LAWYERS – of any kind
- Stour Chambers Charity Quiz Night! Friday 31st January 2020 6pm – 8.30pm. Westgate Hall, Canterbury CT1 2BT
Stour Chambers warmly invites KLS students to join them for an evening of quizzing. All proceeds from the night will be donated to the Pilgrim’s Hospice. There will be many legal professionals in attendance – a great way to informally make contacts! For more details and the application form download this PDF – Charity Quiz Night flyer 2020
Kent Open Day at Dechert – Tuesday 14th January 2020
I have arranged a Kent-only Open Day at Global law firm Dechert on 14th January. The Open Day will include an insight into the firm and what they do, including their training contracts; a skills session; and, networking with trainees, partners, graduate recruitment team. This is an ordinary open day but exclusively available to students from Kent (and that includes non-law students too).
• Open to:
o KLS students in stage 2, 3 or on a postgraduate degree
o any final year student on any other degree/PG degree at the University of Kent
• Must not be a qualified lawyer (in any jurisdiction)
• Must be on track for a 2.1 degree and have AAB grades at A level (or equivalent). Real mitigation for slightly lower grades will be taken into account. If you wish this to be considered please supply information with your application.
• Genuine interest in the type of work that Dechert does. Some of their main areas are corporate securities, investment funds, litigation, white collar crime.
• You must be commercially astute.
• International students may apply.
Your travel costs, up to £75, will be reimbursed by Dechert. Lunch will be provided.
How to apply:
If you wish to be considered for a place on this Open Day provide the following information:
1. CV – it must include each module that you have studied and the grades achieved and also you’re a level / High School results.
2. Details of any access or dietary requirements.
3. A confirmation that you agree to your name, year of study and email address being passed to Dechert (without this agreement they will not be able to communicate with you!)
4. In 200-400 words explain why you wish to attend the Dechert Open Day
Email your application to Jayne on firstname.lastname@example.org with “Dechert Open Day” in the subject bar.
Deadline: 9am, 9th December
The eligibility criteria will be strictly applied and the standard of applications should be the same as if you were applying directly to the firm. Incomplete or substandard applications will not be identified before the deadline and no second chances will be given.
- Virtual Internship with Linklaters – https://www.insidesherpa.com/virtual-internships/prototype/xeFy6yZxrCvssEatT/Linklaters-Virtual-Internship
Linklaters are providing a virtual internship which may be useful for students who are interested in commercial practice areas.
This is aimed at helping to build potential applicants’ confidence and providing a clearer idea of the type of work a TC may offer. Linklaters also hope to attract candidates who may not see themselves as the “type of person” who could do a vacation scheme in London.
There are seven tasks which take six hours to complete. On completion students receive model answers to help them self-mark. Linklaters say they have no access to the answers of the students taking part and so do not use these as part of future application assessments.
Selection process: Online application form only – https://careers.cliffordchance.com/london/meet-us/accept.html
SEO London Corporate Law – 1st Year Programme
If you are interested in a career in commercial law and would like to find out more about the industry, gain exposure to some of the leading global law firms and have the opportunity to attend an exclusive First Year Workshop, then please apply to SEO London’s Corporate Law First Year Programme as soon as possible!
SEO London’s Corporate Law First Year Programme is open to those studying law OR other degree disciplines from Black and Minority Ethnic (“BME”) or social mobility qualifying backgrounds.
SEO London helps to educate, inspire, train and mentor candidates to help you realise your potential. SEO’s work has been recognised nationally and has been awarded the prestigious Race for Opportunity Recruiting Diverse Talent Award.
How will you benefit from being part of SEO London’s Corporate Law First Year Programme?
- You could be invited to attend training sessions on a range of topics tailored to your needs (e.g. how to write a good application, how to impress at interview, how to develop soft skills).
- You could be selected to attend exclusive SEO sponsor firm events including the First Year Workshop in January (where you will meet a range of firm representatives including graduate recruitment, trainees, associates and partners – firms often identify impressive candidates for their first year schemes which often lead to a pipeline for vacations schemes and training contracts). For those of you that have already met firm representatives on campus, this is a chance to further develop your network and relationships with these prestigious firms.
- You will receive SEO application and interview guides, to help support you through the selection process at firms.
- You can sign up for one-to-one application guidance and mock interviews Vacation scheme and training contract places are very competitive. It is imperative to gain early exposure to commercial law firms and build a network within the industry – SEO London’s Corporate Law First Year Programme is a brilliant platform to do this!For further information please visit: http://seolondon-careers.com/industry-areas/corporate-lawIf you wish to apply please visit: http://seolondon-careers.com/apply-nowIf you have any questions or would like to arrange a time to speak with one of the team, please email email@example.com.
Other opportunities offered by Aspiring Solicitors
‘Aspiring Solicitors’ also happens to be the name of an organisation that provides many legal opportunities. I do not aim to list everything from their website on this blog so you should also check out the opportunities on their website at https://www.aspiringsolicitors.co.uk/events/ You will need to register to take part and to receive a monthly newsletter. You can also follow them on FB and be a member of the Kent Aspiring Solicitors FB page here.
If you’re an Aspiring Solicitors member there are always opportunities to apply for.
SEE THE NEW LISTING ON THEIR WEBSITE http://www.aspiringsolicitors.co.uk/
GENERIC and/or NON-LEGAL CAREERS EVENTS
Are you interested in enterprise / starting your own business / gaining leadership skills. Then look at the opportunities offered by the Hub for Innovation & Enterprise. They offer free support and training for you to develop your own business . They’re based on campus. See https://www.kent.ac.uk/enterprise/hub/