The events shown below are brought to your attention as they may be of interest to some of you. Unless otherwise stated the University of Kent is not involved in any of them and cannot endorse any.
Law-related events are shown first (in date order) and generic careers events or ones that may appeal to students looking for alternative careers are second.
EVENTS FOR FUTURE BARRISTERS
Middle Temple Open Day – Saturday 28th March, Middle Temple Hall, London
The event will be held in the historic Middle Temple Hall and is highly recommended to Sixth Form and Undergraduate or Postgraduate students who want to find out more about a career at the Bar in general and the Middle Temple in particular. The programme starts with registration at 9.30 and is expected to conclude by 16.30. A full programme will be available nearer the day, examples of talks from previous years include “Becoming a Barrister; routes to qualification”, “Giving people a voice” and panel discussions on “A Day in the Life”. Between sessions, there will also be ample opportunity to look around some parts of the Inn and to speak to practitioners, judges and students currently undertaking the Bar Course. This year there will be limited spaces available to participate in a mooting workshop and to go on library tours. Attendance is free but booking is essential as places are limited. For further information and to request a place on the Open Day, please visit https://www.middletemple.org.uk/open-day-registration-form.
Keep your eye on the events at the Inns:
Tours of Inner Temple – available alternating Wednesdays (10.30am) and Fridays (2.30pm)
Book as an individual or with a group (max. 20 people). Tours offer a chance to see the Inner Temple and to gain insight into the following areas: Education and Training activities available to those on the GDL and BPTC; Advice on legal work experience; Explanation of the scholarships process; Tour of the Library (subject to staff availability); Q&A Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make a booking http://innertemple.org.uk/prospective-members/forthcoming-events
Only the above Inn (Inner Temple) has a dedicated Events page for prospective members. So, to find out what is on at the other Inn’s you’re going to have to trawl through their full calendar! Here are the links to those calendars:
EVENTS FOR FUTURE LAWYERS – of any kind
More events coming soon …
Virtual Internship with Linklaters – https://www.insidesherpa.com/virtual-internships/prototype/xeFy6yZxrCvssEatT/Linklaters-Virtual-Internship
Linklaters is providing a virtual internship which may be useful for students who are interested in commercial practice areas. This is aimed at helping to build potential applicants’ confidence and providing a clearer idea of the type of work a TC may offer. Linklaters also hope to attract candidates who may not see themselves as the “type of person” who could do a vacation scheme in London. There are seven tasks which take six hours to complete. On completion, students receive model answers to help them self-mark. Linklaters say they have no access to the answers of the students taking part and so do not use these as part of future application assessments.
SEO London Corporate Law – 1st Year Programme
If you are interested in a career in commercial law and would like to find out more about the industry, gain exposure to some of the leading global law firms and have the opportunity to attend an exclusive First-Year Workshop, then please apply to SEO London’s Corporate Law First Year Programme as soon as possible!
SEO London’s Corporate Law First Year Programme is open to those studying law OR other degree disciplines from Black and Minority Ethnic (“BME”) or social mobility qualifying backgrounds.
SEO London helps to educate, inspire, train and mentor candidates to help you realise your potential. SEO’s work has been recognised nationally and has been awarded the prestigious Race for Opportunity Recruiting Diverse Talent Award.
How will you benefit from being part of SEO London’s Corporate Law First Year Programme?
- You could be invited to attend training sessions on a range of topics tailored to your needs (e.g. how to write a good application, how to impress at interview, how to develop soft skills).
- You could be selected to attend exclusive SEO sponsor firm events including the First Year Workshop in January (where you will meet a range of firm representatives including graduate recruitment, trainees, associates and partners – firms often identify impressive candidates for their first year schemes which often lead to a pipeline for vacations schemes and training contracts). For those of you that have already met firm representatives on campus, this is a chance to further develop your network and relationships with these prestigious firms.
- You will receive SEO application and interview guides, to help support you through the selection process at firms.
- You can sign up for one-to-one application guidance and mock interviews vacation scheme and training contract places are very competitive. It is imperative to gain early exposure to commercial law firms and build a network within the industry – SEO London’s Corporate Law First Year Programme is a brilliant platform to do this! For further information please visit: http://seolondon-careers.com/industry-areas/corporate-lawIf you wish to apply please visit: http://seolondon-careers.com/apply-nowIf you have any questions or would like to arrange a time to speak with one of the team, please email email@example.com.
Other opportunities offered by Aspiring Solicitors
‘Aspiring Solicitors’ also happens to be the name of an organisation that provides many legal opportunities. I do not aim to list everything from their website on this blog so you should also check out the opportunities on their website at https://www.aspiringsolicitors.co.uk/events/ You will need to register to take part and to receive a monthly newsletter. You can also follow them on FB and be a member of the Kent Aspiring Solicitors FB page here.
If you’re an Aspiring Solicitors member there are always opportunities to apply for.
SEE THE NEW LISTING ON THEIR WEBSITE http://www.aspiringsolicitors.co.uk/
GENERIC and/or NON-LEGAL CAREERS EVENTS
Volunteering Opportunities with London Legal Support Trust
London Legal Support Trust is offering the following exciting volunteering opportunities:
- Event Marshal at London Legal Walk – We are looking for marshals to help us set up the street party and registration desks, and/or later be positioned along the route where it will be your role to direct walkers and offer support and encouragement as they go past. You will also be invited to join in the fun at the street party on Carey Street. We need volunteers who are available on Monday 8th June 2020 and able to commit to the below time: Set up volunteer: 11am-3pm (20 needed), Route marshal – prep and en route: 3pm-9pm (200 needed). Please head to our dedicated London Legal Walk event page to find out more about the biggest fundraising event in the legal calendar year and to complete the Marshal registration form.
Are you interested in enterprise / starting your own business / gaining leadership skills? Then look at the opportunities offered by the Hub for Innovation & Enterprise. They offer free support and training for you to develop your own business. They’re based on campus. See https://www.kent.ac.uk/enterprise/hub/