Funding for your future

Currently studying Forensic Psychology MSc full-time, last year Tobias graduated in Psychology BSc at Kent.

Tobias continued from Undergraduate to postgraduate study at Kent. He was awarded a Kent Ambition Scholarship to help achieve is goals.

Tobias Varela
Tobias Varela

I have used my scholarship funds toward paying my tuition fee. This has eased the financial burden of handling the fees on my own.

1. Why did you choose to stay on at Kent for a Master’s after your undergraduate degree? What would you say are the advantages of staying at your current university for progression?

I chose to stay at Kent for my Master’s programme because my undergraduate experience at Kent helped me grow as an academic and as an individual. My relationship to the University and particularly my professors and their immense support, made me realise that perhaps completing my Master’s degree at Kent as well would provide future referrals with much more insight into my character, strengths, and weaknesses. I stayed because I want to build on those strengths and character, and to continue receiving guidance on where I can and should improve.

2. How did you apply for the Ambition scholarship? Was the application process straight-forward?

I applied using the Evision portal for University of Kent. It was a smooth and straight-forward process that took no time at all. As an alumnus of Kent, I qualified upon graduation with my strong marks.

3. What will you be using your scholarship award funds towards exactly? How has it helped you?

4. What have been the main differences from undergrad to postgrad study? Was it smooth transition for you?

The transition from undergraduate to postgraduate study was subtle at first. Truly, the nature of the coursework we do has not changed much, but the mental pressure is higher during end of term.

5. What advice would you give to current students considering stay on at Kent for a Master’s degree?

For me, Kent provides a nurturing environment that allows me to focus on my degree and still avail myself time with friends and family, and pursuing hobbies and personal interests. My advice is to make your choice by considering these factors first, and only second considering the specifics of the course available, whether here at Kent or elsewhere.