How I manage my time as a Law and Politics student

Time management is a key skill to master as a university student, enabling you to meet multiple deadlines and still have time to enjoy university life. In this blog post, I’ll be sharing how I manage my time as a final year Law and Politics student – take note!

Keep a weekly schedule

Since my second year of studying, I have used a weekly planner to schedule for the week ahead. I write out my schedule on a Sunday evening, noting down any key tasks, deadlines, classes, and events, so that I don’t forget anything throughout the week. Having a weekly schedule keeps me focused on achieving my goals and allows me to enter the week feeling confident and prepared.

Create daily to-do lists

At the beginning of each day, I write out smaller to-do lists of tasks I want to achieve that day. Having these small goals helps keep me focused and organised, and allows me to break larger projects down into more digestible and achievable tasks.

Allow time for planning essay’s

Essays can be very stressful, especially when they have strict or conflicting deadlines. Taking time to research, plan and think about your work is key to good time management, so I like to start planning one month before an essay is due. During the first week, I try to understand the subject better and then I begin creating a plan for my essay. Once I have a structured plan in place, writing the essay feels easier and more achievable.

Take regular breaks

Finally, make sure your taking regular breaks from studying. This is important for your wellbeing and to stop you feeling overwhelmed with work. When taking a break, I like see my friends, do some shopping in Canterbury, or watch a film on Netflix to help me relax. Here at Kent, we’re lucky because there’s plenty of things to do outside of studying (check my last post on the my favourite facilities if you haven’t already).

Overall, the most important thing is to believe yourself and your abilities. Try out different methods of organising your time until you find the one(s) that work for you!

This blog post was written by Kent student Minetou Mbodje