Student experience: societies and sports clubs

Joining a society or club at Kent is a great way to make new friends and build skills and confidence. At the time of posting, Covid-19 restrictions were limiting in-person activities – but we hope they’ll be up and running again before long. We spoke to Kent undergraduates and graduates about how joining a society helped them.

“Last year, I was the social secretary for Socrates, which is the SSPSSR academic society. We had a lot of different events and it was nice to meet people from different years. This year, I’m the academic secretary. It’s been harder to involve people online than it is in person, but we’re trying our hardest! I keep in touch with the committee from last year; we’re lifelong friends.”

Shane Thiara. Criminology and Sociology

“I was President of Kent’s ice hockey club in 2017/18 and again in 2019/20. Due to the club’s continued growth, our A-team managed to make a return to the competitive BUIHA Southern Checking Division. My tenure as President granted me with an invaluable set of skills and experience that can partner my degree and enhance my employability.”

Charles Dabbs. Politics and International Relations with a Year in Continental Europe Winner – Outstanding Contribution to Sports Development, Kent Student Awards 2020

“I joined the Hogwarts Society last year, and really enjoyed it, so I joined the committee. We do different activities surrounding the world of Harry Potter and the books. When we start the year off, we do the sorting ceremony where everyone is sorted into whichever Hogwarts house they’re in.”

Catriona Eade, Digital Arts

“I’ve been in the Improv Society, where we do improvised comedy, for three years. It’s helped me with my communication, and it’s helped me to take things less seriously, be more flexible, adaptive, reactive. And to listen to people.”

Alex Newson. Multimedia Technology and Design with a Year in Industry

“I joined hockey, which I had played before, and meeting people who do different subjects is so much better than always being surrounded by people doing the same stuff. There are so many societies…if you don’t find something you like, just start one! Being social helps your mental health.”

Prudence Chikaka. Multimedia Technology and Design with a Year in Industry