Joining a sports club or society is a key part of the university experience for a lot of students, it’s a great way to take up something new and make friends. Although, between rent, travel and general living costs joining a club can seem expensive.
There is additional funding available to support students via the ‘Access To’ fund. The fund was set up by Kent Union in order to help students with the financial cost of societies and clubs. The fund is split into two parts; Access To Kent Sport supports students with the cost of dual gold gym membership when it is required to participate in sports clubs, and Access To Activities helps with the cost of membership, kit and equipment.
Access to Kent Sport
- It will support up to 50% of the costs of a dual Gold Membership.
- It will not support applications for sole use of the gym
- It will not be made available to students who have previously purchased Kent Sport Membership (unless there is a change in circumstances).
Access to Activities
- Up to 100% of membership fees (but will only support a maximum of two applications with up to 50% being funded for the second membership).
- Up to 50% of essential performing equipment (e.g. safety helmet)
- Up to 50% of essential playing/performance kit (e.g. special boots)
- Up to 50% of additional costs which would develop/enhance the student experience and are aligned to the core activity of the student group (e.g. individual fees associated with a conference or competition).
You can find out more information about the funds and how to apply here: https://kentunion.co.uk/activities/funding