Three things to learn from my experience

An image of a watch disintergrating

There is next to nothing about my uni experience that I wish I had done differently. It’s been the best experience and I’ve gained so much. However, if I could go back and do it again, or if I can influence your time at Kent; this is my advice.

I wish I had:

• Joined a society.

You don’t necessarily have to limit yourself to one society, but I wish I had at least joined one in my first year. Societies provide you with a great opportunity to meet new people and to socialise in a different environment. They also give you another thing

to fill your free time with and look great on your CV. Depending on which of the many societies you choose, you can also gain new skills or develop current ones.

• Made the most of all the available services sooner.

It’s easy to put off thinking about life after uni until its right in front of you. However, I wish I had used the careers advice service and visited the job fairs earlier on in my time at Kent. It’s a great way to get ahead of the game and to help you be prepared for what path you will choose to follow after your degree. Also, don’t be afraid to contact your academic adviser for help. If you start contacting the staff early on it will become habit, and then you can always be sure you are doing everything you can to reach your full potential.

I am glad that I:

• Didn’t take first year for granted.

It’s not uncommon to hear people using the excuse that first year doesn’t really count and you only need to pass. However, I never took this attitude. I have been applying myself since day one because it has always been important to me to achieve what I know I am capable of and push myself to be better. By doing this you will reap the rewards when it comes to stages 2 and 3 because you won’t have to adjust to a new attitude and style of work. The other reason I am glad I took this attitude is because it got me my job as student ambassador for my course. I was recognised by my tutors and therefore recommended for the job and I am so grateful.

This post is by Becky Rye.