Wura’s Xercise Factor diary – week five

Now approaching the end of the Xercise Factor competition, the participants have been working hard to make it count. Let’s see how Wura got on in week five:

Wow. What a week it has been. What an experience it has been. I never thought doing this competition would lead me on such a path of self-discovery. There have been a lot of highs and lows over the last 6 weeks but I have been adamant that I wouldn’t let it stop me from working out. This week, I was going to the gym but I lost my student card somehow so I had to think of other methods of exercise. I have been running as well as doing some home workouts. I also went for a long walk yesterday with my church which was a nice, relaxing way to end the week. Unfortunately, this week I didn’t get to have a PT session with Ben, but I tailored my workouts around the ones I’d been doing with him, and I beat my PB squat (in sets) which I hope he’ll be proud of!

Almost 2 years ago, I suffered a horrendous injury to my right knee and I’ve recently found out that the ACL has completely eroded away, which means I won’t be able to get back into sport. Hearing that news has been really hard for me, because participating in sport was a huge part of my identity. However that doesn’t mean I should give up on my overall health and fitness! I have made a concerted effort throughout this competition not to take any extra supplements/protein because I want to reach my goals all on my own merit of healthy food and exercise. I’ve also been going to the gym with my closest friends, not only to motivate them, but as a motivation to myself to keep pushing through!

I have learnt throughout this competition that being fit and healthy isn’t about vanity. It isn’t about starving myself or bulking up for a quick fix or indulging in fad diets that are detrimental to my health. It is a personal journey. Not just a physical one, but a mental and emotional one too, in which I grow and learn about the wonders of human capacity. This has been such a wakeup call for me and one of the best experiences of my life. Grateful to Kent Sport for this incredible opportunity!

I have the Xercise Factor because against all odds, I have never and will never give up!​

Wuru has also been blogging about her Xercise Factor experience at wuragetsfit.wordpress.com

You can follow the progress of all the contestants through their weekly blog posts, which you can view at kent.ac.uk/sports/xercisefactor.