The national lockdown (5 November to 2 December 2020) has once again meant that all sport and fitness facilities on the Canterbury campus have had to temporarily close. While this is disappointing news, it’s important that we follow government and University advice and help keep our community safe.
Some of our members have asked if membership refunds will be offered as they are not currently able to use our facilities. Kent Sport and Kent Union have come to the agreement that membership refunds will not be offered for the period of time that Kent Sport facilities remain closed. This will be reviewed at the end of the academic year.
‘Kent Sport have pulled in countless great resources to ensure that we can stay active throughout the winter! My routine is a weekly 10k in Blean with some home workouts every morning before sitting in front of my laptop all day.’
Aldo Manella, Vice President Student Engagement.
Stay Well @ Home
You may be wondering what we are doing to compensate members who are unable to access our facilities during this time.
We have recently relaunched our Stay Well @ Home webpage which is our go-to resource for fitness tips, at-home workouts, nutrition and outdoor activities. We have everything you need to stay active during lockdown and beyond. We continue to provide some physiotherapy services face-to-face at the Clinic, and our email/social media channels are available if you have any questions.
- Online classes – we’ve pre-recorded some of our most popular classes and we’ll be providing all these through our website and social media so you can dance the night away or blast those abs at home!
- Bedroom Bootcamp – we’ve also filmed a bootcamp-style class in on-campus accommodation, to show you what you can achieve in a smaller space
- At-home workouts – Kent Sport Fitness Instructor Laetitia has been busy creating a range of at-home workouts involving little or no equipment
- Les Mills on-demand coming soon – Your favourite Les Mills classes, in your own home. Get active with their huge range of workouts on cardio, strength, cycling and much more
- Get outside and active with our Travel to Tokyo challenge; map your walk, run, or cycle and enter the distance online. Help us make it to Tokyo (virtually) for the Olympics next year!
- Wellness Wednesday – We’ve been sharing wellness articles since the first lockdown and there is a huge amount of advice and support on subjects such as mental health, working from home, and dealing with anxiety.
Some of this is already available at https://www.kent.ac.uk/sports/health-and-fitness/stay-well-at-home. All this great content and more will be coming to our social media channels in the coming weeks, so make sure you follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @UniKentSports
Destress with Kent Union
In all the uncertainty happening in the world, we at Kent Union know how stressful this period can be and want to support you through it. Make sure you look after yourself! #KentTogetherAtHome