Kent Sport’s Scholar of the Year

Ieuan Gale, Scholar of the Year 2018/19

Congratulations to Ieuan Gale who has been selected as the University of Kent Sports Scholar of the Year for 2018/19 and is acknowledged for his achievements throughout the scholarship programme deserving the highest of recognition.

Ieuan graduated in Military History and has plans to travel to New Zealand to play in the Mens Fastpitch Premiere League.

Oli Prior, Head of Physical Activities at Kent Sport said, “Ieuan was an incredible asset to the Scholarship Scheme this past year. His calm demeanour but hardworking attitude is what got him to where he is today. His commitment to not only the programme, but also his sport and studies was what made him stand out as a scholar. We know Ieuan will go on to do amazing things in his future and we’re really pleased we were able to give him the tools to keep moving forward.”

Ieuan commented, “Before I started on the Scholarship Scheme, I hadn’t done much in the way of serious weights training. I was in reasonable shape but that was more due to playing lots of sport rather than any focussed training. I can’t thank the training team here at Kent enough for their help in getting me in the best possible shape for my sport. I’ve approached my training much like my practice, always looking for new ideas and trying to further my knowledge and the team here have been more than accommodating so I can’t thank them enough!”

Mel Clewlow, Director of Sport at the University, said: ‘Our sports scholars are prime examples of how commitment, dedication and hard work can help achieve fantastic results. Both scholars have applied themselves to the scheme and their training which has helped them achieve massive successes and we are proud to have played a part in their sporting career.’

The University of Kent aims to deliver sporting excellence and is proud to offer scholarships to students with outstanding sporting ability at both Canterbury and Medway campuses.

For Kent Sport news, events and special offers, Like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram and Twitter UniKentSports.