Updated 6 January 2020
With the introduction of another national lockdown, all sport and fitness facilities (with the exception of our Physiotherapy Clinic) will be temporarily closed until further notice.
Appointments at the Kent Sport Physiotherapy Clinic for face-to-face physiotherapy are still being taken. Online consultations are still bookable. See https://www.kent.ac.uk/sports/physio for details.
As before, make sure you check out our Stay Well @ Home webpage for at-home workouts and virtual classes https://www.kent.ac.uk/…/health-and…/stay-well-at-home
Once again, we hope you stay safe and well during this difficult time.
Instructions for returning from lockdown
When the Sports Centre and The Pavilion are able to reopen, please note the following:
- You will need to book a session in advance before visiting
- Please cancel any session you cannot attend through your Account History in the online booking portal. Instructions can be found on our cancelling sessions blog item
- There are no locker or changing facilities available, please arrive ready to start your activity
- You will not be able to hire sports equipment – please bring what you need
- Please bring your own bottled water for hydration
- You will need to queue outside the Sports Centre and The Pavilion for ALL bookings
- One small bag with essential items is allowed per person (see measurements)
- A mask or face covering is required as you enter Kent Sport facilities and as you make your way through the one-way system to your activity. You do not need to wear a mask or face covering during your activity.
We know the importance of physical activity as well as mental health for students, staff and our community, and we have put measures in place to help keep everyone safe and healthy. Please read the information and FAQ list below for more details.
The Cycle Hub and The Pavilion Café Bar are currently closed.
Five simple rules for a safe visit
In order to keep safe, we are asking every visitor to follow five simple rules. These are:
Book and cancel online
You must book all sessions online through your membership portal. If you have not booked in advance, you will not be allowed access to Kent Sport facilities. You must also cancel any session you cannot attend through the Account History tab in the online membership portal.
Maintain social distance
We have implemented social distancing within our facilities, and we ask that you maintain a two metre distance from other users and staff at all times.
Our new one-way system and restrictions on facility access are designed to keep you safe. We would ask you to follow these instructions and specific guidance from our staff at all times.
Alongside increased cleaning of our facilities, including a daily full clean, we encourage all users to wipe down equipment before and after use with the antibacterial spray and blue cloths provided.
Please DO NOT visit Kent Sport if you are showing any symptoms of Covid-19 including temperature, cough, difficulty breathing, or loss of taste or smell (anosmia).
Frequently asked questions
We want everyone to feel safe and secure at all times while exercising, and so we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions. This will be updated regularly as we respond to questions and government advice. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
The University’s response to Coronavirus can be found at www.kent.ac.uk/coronavirus.
What safety and social distancing measures are in place?
- You will be required to pre-book any activity in advance, we will not be allowing access to anyone that has not pre-booked
- No equipment is currently available to rent, please make sure you bring with you any equipment you need
- A maximum of one hour is allowed for each booking. Please ensure you leave the building as soon as your booking has ended
- You will need to queue outside the Sports Centre and The Pavilion for ALL bookings, including the Physiotherapy Clinic
- Before you enter the Sports Centre or The Pavilion, our doors will be clearly marked with ‘way in/way out’ signs, so please ensure you use the correct door
- When entering the buildings, a one-way system and floor markers will help keep social distancing. Please make sure you follow the directional flow at all times
- There will be increased signage and flow maps throughout the building to guide you safely to your activity and help you exit the building once your activity has finished
- Please check-in for your activity at reception. There will be a perspex screen at reception to protect you and our receptionists
- Our facilities are now cashless, we will be accepting contactless payments only – either by card or apple/google pay
- We ask that you sanitise your hands before passing through the turnstiles. Additional sanitising stations will be located throughout the building
- All equipment will need to be wiped down prior and after use. Please use the hand sanitiser machines to clean your hands throughout your workout
- The facilities will be closed for a two hour period in the middle of each day to allow for a full clean of the facilities and equipment
- Clear markings will be laid around all gym equipment. Make sure you stay within these boxes during your activity
- If you feel unsafe or unwell, please speak to a member of our staff
Do I need to wear a mask or face covering?
Following Government and University guidelines, you will be required to wear a mask or face covering as you enter Kent Sport facilities and as you make your way through the one-way system to your activity. You do not need to wear a mask or face covering during your activity.
How do I book an activity or gym session?
All activities must be booked in advance. You can book online through your membership portal only. If you have not booked, you will not be allowed access to the building. When using the online booking system, please be aware of the following procedure to ensure you book the correct slot:
- Gym sessions (weights or cardio) and classes are bookable under ‘classes’. Search for ‘cardio session’ and ‘resistance/weights session’ for gym bookings
- Outdoor sports bookings are bookable under ‘activities’
Please be courteous and only book one session or activity per member per day.
How do I cancel sessions?
If you can no longer attend a session you’ve booked, it’s important that you cancel that booking. This allows other users to book that slot. Cancellation is easy to do – simply visit your online account at https://kentsport.kent.ac.uk/Horizons/ and click the Account History tab.
- Login to account
- Click Account History
- Find activity to be cancelled
- Click the red X
- Confirm cancellation by clicking OK
Please note that some sessions can take up to 90 minutes to appear here.
What happens if I don’t cancel a session and don’t attend?
We may suspend and fine the accounts of those that don’t cancel a session and don’t attend. Suspension will prevent further bookings until any fines are paid in full.
Will there be limitations on gym access?
You will be required to book your session in the gym before you visit Kent Sport. This is to reduce the need for queuing outside the building, and to ensure there are no more than the guideline number of people in the gym at all times. Slots will be bookable for a maximum of one hour. We have reduced the amount of stations in the fitness suite to adhere to government guidelines and social distancing and only one person is to be in a designated marked box at any one time. You will be able to book either a cardio session or a weights session. You will not be able to switch sessions during your booked slot.
What equipment is available in the gym?
Cardio Suite (first floor)
- 12 treadmills
- 6 X-Trainers
- 3 Upright bikes
- 1 Recumbent bike
- 2 Watt Bikes
- 2 Air Fit bikes
- 3 Concept II rowers
- 1 Step Climber
- Human Sport Total Delts
- Human Sport shoulders
- Leg curl/leg extension
- Leg press
- Pec flye/rear deltoid
- Lat pull down/vertical row
- Assisted chin/dip
- Gauntlet Step Climber
- Plyometric boxes
- 2 adjustable benches with dumbbells
- 2 Flat bench press
- Squat rack
- Leverage chest press
- Leverage shoulder press
- Leverage pull down/row
- Angled leg press
- Octagon training rig
- Cable station
- Weight plates and bars
- 4 lifting platforms (2 with racks) all with associated Eleiko Plates and bars
Will social distancing measures restrict class sizes?
Yes, social distancing means that classes in the fitness and dance studio will be reduced to 25% normal capacity. You will only be able to book classes online for the foreseeable future. The Dance Studio and equipment will be cleaned in between classes.
Will you be offering fitness and dance classes?
Our fitness and dance classes will now take place virtually for the remainder of the year. Members can watch these videos by using the access code, which has been emailed to you. If you did not receive this code, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and they should be able to provide this to you.
Will I be able to play sport?
Indoor sports are currently closed for bookings. When indoor sports can continue, you will be able to book basketball in the main hall, badminton in hall 2, and volleyball in hall 3. All sports must be pre-booked in advance using the online booking system. Sports booking numbers are determined by the government and NGB guidance.
Outdoor sports are currently subject to NGB guidelines. You can book some outdoor sports through your online account. However, numbers are restricted to six players per bookable pitch. There are three bookable pitches on the 3GX, and two on the 3G pitch. We also have bookable grass pitches. The Astro pitch is currently unavailable.
Our brand-new Indoor Tennis and Events Arena is currently closed for bookings.
Will I be able to use the lockers, changing and shower facilities?
As per government guidance, all changing facilities, lockers and showers will be closed until further notice. We advise that you arrive at Kent Sport ready for your booked session and leave immediately once your session has finished. Please do not bring bags with you to Kent Sport as you will not be able to securely store items during your visit.
Do I need to bring equipment with me?
We would advise that you bring any sports equipment with you to your booking (balls, rackets etc.) as we will not be able to hire equipment. Some smaller items can still be purchased at main reception (contactless and card transactions only). You will be allowed to bring a training belt and gloves with you to your gym session, however, these are for your own personal use and are not to be shared with other gym users. Please do not bring other equipment with you as we are not providing lockers at this time.
Can I bring a bag with me?
We are now allowing one small bag, measuring no more than 430mm x 330mm, to be brought with you to your activity. This is for essential small items only:
- Water bottle
- Phone, keys and wallet/purse
- Training diary/notebook
- Training belt/gloves
- Personal hygiene products
Will you be offering personal training and other health services?
At the moment we are unable to offer personal training and other fitness services.
Will I be able to access water fountains?
At the moment, water fountains have been switched off within our facilities. Please ensure you bring enough water with you for your session.