Law Clinic student testimonials

Here’s what our students have to say about their experience of getting involved with the work of Kent Law Clinic during their studies…

Hope Turner, Stage 1 Law LLBĀ 

“Nothing will prepare you for the work of lawyers quite like real-life practice”

‘The University offers many opportunities to get involved and make the most of a degree, spanning from societies to career specific speakers. However, the work of the Law Clinic is unparalleled. What I’ve found, whilst getting involved with the opportunities offered, is that while textbooks, lectures and seminars will get you a degree, nothing will prepare you for the work of lawyers quite like real-life practice.

‘When you’re sat in a meeting with a stressed client, you can’t just read a text book or share lecture notes. Instead, it’s down to you to act in a way that’s informative and attentive; something that, realistically, can’t be taught in lectures. I will be forever grateful for the opportunitiesĀ  the Law Clinic has granted me – these opportunities have not only strengthened my understanding of the law but have spurred my desire to work in the legal field.’

Valeriya Kolyadina, Stage 3 Law LLB

“A wonderful opportunity to gain awareness of real-world law guided by a professional”

‘Since the start of the academic year, I’ve been involved with all the possible legal opportunities within the Law Clinic, including a couple of advice sessions – one employment advice session and one family advice session.

‘Advice sessions are both engaging and informative. After being introduced to the lawyer, our task involves active note taking, while the professional lawyer provides oral and written advice to the client. It’s a wonderful opportunity to gain awareness of real-world law guided by a professional in the field. I had two experienced lawyers counselling the sessions. The atmosphere was different in each session but both experiences enhanced my understanding of a specific legal area. Both lawyers had an expert approach to the legal issues raised by the client’s enquiry and were able to provide effective legal advice within the limited amount of time.

‘Each advice session definitely advanced my knowledge of lawyer-client communication. The sessions are a unique opportunity that Kent students can use to enhance their legal understanding. I will use every opportunity to undertake further work with the Law Clinic.’

Kristina Sandeva, Stage 3 European Legal Studies

“It can help students determine what type of lawyer they want to be”

‘The evening advice sessions are an extremely valuable and interesting opportunity for law students. They give great insight into how the law, communication with clients, and the administration of legal procedure work in practice! It was an extremely interesting and engaging experience – I came across three different cases, which all involved some type of domestic abuse and violence within the families. This was surprising, but at the same time I felt honoured to be able to take part in the sessions and to see how these people received help and consultation. Hopefully, they now have a little bit more hope and awareness of their circumstances.

The experience opened my eyes as to how so many people don’t know what rights they have or where they can seek support from. They are all in such a vulnerable situation and cannot afford legal aid. This is extremely worrying! I would love to take part in more sessions if possible and to volunteer in the Law Clinic on any other opportunity available! It is extremely important for us, not only as students but also as people. It can help students determine what type of lawyer they want to be and what type of professional ethics they want to hold up to!’