My first year at the Kent Law Clinic: Alexandra Nadasan

One of the main reasons I chose to study law at Kent was the Law Clinic on campus. During welcome week I had the chance to hear members of the clinic staff talk about what the clinic does and the ways you can get involved. This gave me the determination to sign up for a reception slot right away. I thought this would be a very good way to get accustomed with how the clinic works and gain some useful skills.

I remember going for my assigned reception hour for the first time. I was a bit nervous and very excited at the same time. Once I was there, I was friendly welcomed by two of the clinic co-ordinators who introduced my colleague and I to the work we would be doing. We started taking phone calls and typing case sheets right away. Soon, the reception hour became the highlight of my week and I could not wait to be back in the clinic to take phone calls and hear people’s stories. Some of them amazed me, some made me sad and I could empathise with each of them, but at the same time I was able to look at these stories from a legal perspective and understand how the law could in some ways change the situation.

After a few weeks, I realised how easy it is to lose sight of the big picture during the study of law. With lectures and seminars focusing on different individual topics, you end up concentrating on small pieces but you are not always aware of how they intertwine and relate to each other. I believe that the clinic can help us to connect the dots and bring everything in perspective.

My experience at the law clinic over the past year has exceeded any expectations. But not just because I get to be part of an amazing and dedicated team, improve my communication skills and expand my knowledge on the legal topics I am studying. Most of all, being in the clinic gives me a sense of belonging. I feel like I can bring a small contribution to something that goes beyond law books, research, writing essays or arguing a case in court. It goes to the core of critical legal thinking, which is about acknowledging the impact of the law on our society and knowing how it can be used to help others and change people’s lives. Having the chance to be part of that simply makes me happy and that is why I cannot help but smile whenever I am there.

Alexandra Nadasan

Second Year, European Legal Studies