Introducing Kate: Kent Business School Student Experience Assistant in Canterbury

Close up image of Kate with a leafy background

Kate Anku-Tsede is the new Student Experience Assistant based at Kent Business School Canterbury. In this blog, Kate tells you a little about herself and how she can support you through your studies!

Introduce yourself

Hello, my name is Kate, and I am an International Business student on my placement year as the new Student Experience Assistant at Kent Business School. I am from Ghana, so it was important for me to experience working in a different environment.

Describe your new role

As the Student Experience Assistant, I work with staff and students to ensure a positive experience for all students. In addition to supporting the marketing department, I manage Student Ambassadors and enlist their help for Open and Applicant Days. I also organise the Peer Mentorship scheme to ensure mentors and mentees successfully gain from the experience. There’s also a lot of day to day admin!

What is the best thing about studying at Kent Business School?

The diversity. Being far from home it is comforting to know that several other people at my school are also going through the same experience. Meeting new people from the staff and student population also gives me an opportunity to learn about different customs and cultures.

How can students contact you?

I am based at Sibson, behind the reception so you can just ring the bell to have a chat with me or for help with any enquiries. Additionally, students can send me an email at k.anku-tsede@kent.ac.uk. My office hours are Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 17:00.

What advice would you give to first-year students?

Enjoy it to the fullest but take it seriously. First-year is kind of like a trial for university life. What you do and how you handle your tasks and your general attitude towards work might become a habit. If you do not take it seriously it may backfire in the future.

What are you looking to achieve from your Year in Industry?

A well-rounded educational experience. I am hoping to learn about different aspects of operations and management in a business. I would also like to learn more about myself especially with regards to my career aspirations. A month into my experience made me realise that working in an office in a management position is something I would like to look into more, so I have already gained a lot thus far!

What do you hope to do after you complete your studies?

I do not have a concrete plan yet, but I am interested in social enterprises. I know the lessons I learn in this placement would be very helpful for this. I am also looking into graduate programs as well.

Students are welcome to contact Kate for advice and guidance via email k.anku-tsede@kent.ac.uk. Read Kate’s staff profile