Lucas Baude de Bunnetat

MBA 2020, United Kingdom

“There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.” – Colin Powell

I come from a fundraising background, working in higher education for University College, Oxford, where I was responsible for everything from hardship bursaries to multi-million pound capital projects.

Outside of work I am a Board Trustee for The Transforming Autism Project, a national charity focussing on early-intervention; and a recruitment success advisor for the Social Mobility Foundation, supporting undergraduates and recent leavers in building their CV writing and interview skills.

For the last few years, I have been the beginners’ coach for Oxford University Fencing Club and currently hold a Kent Sport Scholarship, for fencing.

Achievements

• Successfully led record-breaking Annual Fund years for both Oxford University’s Brasenose College in 2017 and University College in 2018.
  • Won the Oxford University Innovation in Development Top Prize twice, in 2018 and 2019 for the leadership and development of the ‘Young Univ’ Programme which encouraged young alumni to participate in higher education events, projects, and fundraising.
  • Successfully marketed Oxford University’s largest adult summer school attracting record-breaking numbers of attendees for two consecutive years.

What attracted you to the Kent MBA programme and why?

The newly developed Sibson Building and its dedicated learning suites were a crucial factor, as were KBS’s strong local and European links. The lush, green, campus was definitely a bonus too!

What were your motivations for undertaking an MBA?

It seemed the best way to develop a core set of strategic business skills. The business start-up focus also matched my own entrepreneurial interests.

Aspirations

I hope to widen my skill set, especially in terms of strategic management. The MBA will also enable me to pursue personal business interests while also developing knowledge which will allow more flexibility in my future career choices.

Advice

Never be afraid to consider and use all your assets in creative ways. Empower your team to have the authority over their own projects. Just because project has ‘always been done that way’ doesn’t mean those who originally did it had the same information and skills available as you do. Look for the candidate who has made the most mistakes and is willing to analyse them. Listing successes is one thing – embracing failure and knowing what not to do is better. Don’t be afraid to use your down time to prepare for busy days or to think of creative solutions.