Kent Students Heading to the USA after International Entrepreneurship Competition

Two University of Kent students are heading to America to develop their business ideas after being shortlisted in an international entrepreneurship competition.

Stephanie Leon, MSc Biotechnology and Bioengineering student and MSc Digital Marketing and Analytics student, Anna Magarotto were shortlisted after a world-wide appeal for business ideas through Start-up Jumpstart.

The five-day programme is for start-up ventures, innovations and new ventures within existing businesses.

Participants will be taken through the process of determining the feasibility of the business concept including developing the value proposition and financial modelling.

Anna and Stephanie were offered the opportunity thanks to Kent Business School’s ASPIRE (Accelerator Space for Innovation and Responsible Enterprise) and Santander Universities. ASPIRE  is working with both students to develop their business ideas, supported by funding from Santander Universities, which sponsors the Start-up Jumpstart.

The pair will stay at the internationally renowned Babson College this September.

Anna will be working on an idea to tackle the climate crisis using augmented reality technology. She said:

“I am thrilled to have been accepted to this programme at one of the top entrepreneurship colleges in the world. It was the right opportunity at the right time for me, because I was eager to learn more about how to bring my business ideas to the market and be a contribution to the world.”

Stephanie will be working on her business proposition – an innovation in biomedical equipment aimed at the education sector. She said:

“It is an honour to be chosen for this programme which I believe will help me hone my entrepreneurial skills to bring my idea to market and ultimately benefit science and education. I am ecstatic and grateful for the chance to work at Babson.”

If you are a student at the University of Kent and are interested in starting up your own business, contact ASPIRE ASPIRE@kent.ac.uk