Introducing Timi: Kent Business School Student Experience Assistant

By Timi Olayinka, Student Experience Assistant

Timi Olayika is the new Student Experience Assistant based at Kent Business School Medway. In his blog, Timi tells you a little about himself and how he can support you through your studies.

Introduce yourself

My name is Timi Olayinka. I am British born but grew up in Nigeria. I returned to the UK four years ago, where I stay with my family in London. I started studying Business and Management in September 2015 at University of Kent and am now on my Year in Industry placement working at Kent Business School.

Describe your new role

My job is Student Experience Assistant, although I prefer to be known as the ‘Supportive Student’. My role is to ensure students are satisfied and engaged in all aspects of University life. I am always available for students who need help.

“We study in such a diverse environment and everyone collectively understands that you can learn something new from each person you meet here.”

How can students contact you?

I work at Kent Business School Medway in the main Student Office at the Sail & Colour Loft. Otherwise, my main social spot between office hours is in the Galvanising Shop. My office hours Monday to Thursday are 9.00 –17.00 and on Friday between 8.00 – 16.00. You can also contact me by email on O.A.Olayinka-Oke@kent.ac.uk

What are you looking to get out of your Year in Industry?

Currently, I am working with an excellent team. All staff members have skills and abilities I would like to learn. I’d like to focus on improving my communication skills, and other aspects include self and time management and improving my IT and organisational skills.

What’s the best thing about studying here?

The best part of studying at Kent Business School Medway is being accepted for who you are. We study in such a diverse environment and everyone collectively understands that you can learn something new from each person you meet here.

What do you hope to do after you complete your studies?

So far I am leaving my options open. Who knows if the Prime Minister position is vacant I might find myself at number 10! At the moment I enjoy bringing people together, so I’m looking at getting into event management.

What advice would you give to first-year students?

It’s important to understand that you are in a new environment and in a new stage in your life. It’s easy to lose your sense of self at university, because it comes with a lot of responsibility and requires greater self-awareness. My advice to all students is to plan each year of your university studies in accordance with your vision of who you want to be by the time you graduate. Any activity you engage in, that doesn’t follow in accordance to this vision is a waste of time. I really hope this helps!

If you get stuck feel free to come in and see me and chat about any problems you may have: ‘A problem shared is a problem half solved.’

Many thanks to Timi for sharing his thoughts. Students are welcome to contact Timi for advice and guidance. Read Timi’s staff profile.

Kent Business School Blogger:timi

Timi Olayinka

Timi Olayinka is the Student Success Assistant at Kent Business School, University of Kent.

View Timi’s Profile.