KBS Alumnus: Federico Maccari – British Airways

By Federico Maccari, Kent Business School Alumnus

federico

Federico Maccari graduated with an MSc in Management Science from Kent Business School at the University of Kent in 2015. Since then he has secured the role of Pricing and Inventory Executive at British Airways. We caught up with Federico to see how his career has developed since completing his studies.

Describe your role at British Airways

My role sits within the British Airways Revenue Management Department. I work with customer and market information combined with flight performances, using analytics tools, we try to understand who our passengers are, and what they would be willing to pay for flights on all our aircraft, on each route, on each day. We decide if it is better to sell a seat today at a set price or to wait and sell it later at a higher price. Unfortunately, our market is highly competitive, it varies on every route, we compete with low-cost carriers as well as high-value airlines. It can be a real challenge but it’s also very exciting.

Why did you choose this industry?

I’ve always been a traveler, both with my family and on my own, and especially when it comes to sports competitions! I’ve always been interested in the mechanisms behind-the-scenes of the transportation industry. Moreover, job opportunities in analytics are growing in all the industries where efficiency and pricing strategies are primary to the success of the business. Nowadays there is an unlimited amount of data that need to be analysed to gain insights and information that your competitors don’t have. These two factors made this industry my first choice after completing my studies.

How did you develop the necessary skills for your role?

Being a sailor I had experienced a lot of logistics issues on transporting boats around the world and this helped me in developing team-working skills and a good attention to detail. My studies then supported this. I completed before a BSc in Management Engineering, and after I was given a great opportunity studying on a dual-degree programme with an MSc in Management Engineering (in Italy) and the MSc in Management Science at Kent Business School.  This gave me the tools to manipulate, analyse and interpret/optimise data/processes, along with deep understanding of various fields from logistics to production, from gambling to accounting, from electronics to information systems.

Are there any social, economic, environmental, technological, legal or political issues that impact your industry?

The travel industry is affected by all major macroeconomic and political events. Since I joined the company Brexit and terrorist attacks have influenced customer behavior. Our responsibility in this (which is completely out of our control) is to maintain the highest standards and align our strategies and prices accordingly.

“Job opportunities in analytics are growing in all the industries where efficiency and pricing strategies are primary to the success of the business. Nowadays there is an unlimited amount of data that need to be analysed to gain insights and information that your competitors don’t have.”

Where do you see your organisation in the next five years?

Big changes are happening now in the aviation industry, low-cost carriers are invading long-haul markets, new more efficient aircraft are being introduced, and oil prices are rising. These challenges will be tough for a legacy carrier like British Airways, but I do believe we will be able to change with the market and continue to give the best service to our customers.

Whom do you seek advice from when making business decisions?

My colleagues are my advisors. The great thing about British Airways is that I don’t feel there is anyone across the company who I cannot ask for help. It gives me a clearer overview of the business which allows me to make positive strategic decisions. But let’s be honest, the greatest person I look for advice is still my Dad!

Describe your management style

I’m a team-player. I always hated working on my own and so I always try to collaborate as much as possible with my teammates. First, because together we can deliver a piece of work more quickly and efficiently, and secondly because greater scrutiny provides a higher quality piece of work.

Many thanks to Federico for sharing his views. Federico studied on a Kent Business School Master’s programme. Find out more about the programmes, including MSc Management (International Business), MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management and MSc Business Analytics.

Alumni Blogger:Federico

Federico Maccari

Federico Maccari graduated with an MSc in Management Science from Kent Business School at the University of Kent in 2015.

Since then he has secured the role of Pricing and Inventory Executive at British Airways.

View Federico on LinkedIn.