On this page:
- Business internships – key resources
- Resources at the University of Kent (for part-time and temporary jobs)
- Internship programmes
- Financial help with unpaid experience
- Work Experience abroad and Gap Year organisers
- Your safety abroad
1) Business internships – key resources
Most internships and summer placements are targeted at Stage 2 students and form part of an employer’s recruitment strategy. Sometimes, as many as 75% of interns are offered graduate jobs with the same employer.
Key resources for business internships are listed on the Stage 2 (Year in Industry) page, as the majority of the recruiters list both, summer internships and year in industry placements. Click here for business internship providers.
Intergrad – a site for graduate jobs and graduate internships.
2) Resources at the University of Kent
The University’s Careers and Employability Service’s job vacancy database lists some work experience programmes abroad: University of Kent’s jobs database. Log in with your university log-in for work experience, internships, placements and graduate jobs.
JobShop– run by the Kent Union, for part-time and temporary work in and around Canterbury and Medway
Employability Points Scheme– make sure you register your work experience and collect points for awards and prizes.
3) Internship programmes
Below are some additional resources for internships programmes:
- Accountancy internships and placements
- AdMission – dedicated site run by the IPA (Institute of Practitioners in Advertising) for internships in advertising, media and marketing communications
- AISEC – www.aiesec.co.uk Run by students and recent graduates for students and recent graduates in over 100 countries, facilitating tens of thousands of international exchanges so that young people may experience and understand cultures other than their own, enabling students to develop management and leadership skills.
- Efinancialcareers for finance and banking summer internships www.efinancialcareers.com
- Rate My Placement – provide information about internships and placements with wide range of employers; including salary information, inside rankings from student reviews from students who have worked in the organisations, sector information and more. Sector information includes Advertising and Marketing; Banking; FMCG; Hospitality, Leisure, Travel and Tourism; Investment Banking; Management Consultancy; Retail. Useful tips about skills and insights into what’s involved.
- Spring Weeks/Insight Days – although these are work experience opportunities, often targeted at first year students, some are also advertised to Stage 2 students who would like to get some insight into what it’s like to work for a large business. Typically, these are advertised by finance companies, management consultancies and investment banks as well as other large organisations such as Unilever. Click here to take you to Stage 1 work experience for details.
- TargetJobs – includes advice and other resources
Volunteering can be a highly rewarding way to get work experience and develop employability skills. A few spare hours can make a huge difference.
University of Kent, Careers and Employability Service information about volunteering award and useful links https://www.kent.ac.uk/ces/volunteering.html
5) Financial help for unpaid work experience
Most quality work experience is paid. However, there are some unpaid opportunities, often with non-governmental organisations (NGOs) or charities. The Careers and Employability Service at the University of Kent administers a bursary scheme, whereby students can apply for up to £100 to help with up to three weeks’ experience. See https://www.kent.ac.uk/ces/funding.html for details.
6) Work experience abroad
For work experience abroad see https://www.kent.ac.uk/ces/student/workabroad.html