Drop-ins and appointments

Not sure where to start or what to do after graduation? Need help with job hunting, applications or interview practice? Want your CV checked by a careers professional?

At KBS, you have access to professional careers advice and guidance from Irena Jennings and Sophie Davis, who are both qualified and experienced careers practitioners. This is in addition to all the help and support from our colleagues in the Careers and Employability Service. Moreover, you are supported not only during your studies, but also for 3 years after your graduation.

Simply drop in during office hours for quick queries or book a personal appointment. All appointments are confidential and private.

KBS: Canterbury (106 Sibson)

Irena Jennings 

• Office hours: Thursday, 10:00-12:00 (106 Sibson)
  • Appointments: available via this link: http://bit.ly/kbsappointments (updated on Fridays).
    Also via Skype irenajennings1, using the same link.
  • During holidays: please email – i.jennings@kent.ac.uk

KBS: Medway (Sail & Colour Loft, Historic Dockyard)

Irena Jennings

The appointments above are in addition to the services offered by the University of Kent’s Careers and Employability Service (CES), open daily at both campuses.

cesLocationCES: Canterbury (open daily)

Opening times: daily term-time and holidays; Mondays 10:30-17:00, Tuesdays – Fridays 09:00-17:00

Drop-ins: Building next to Keynes; no appointment needed. Mondays – Fridays 10:30-12:30 and 14:00-16:00 (you may have to wait a little during peak times)

Appointments: Book in person, telephone 01227 823299 or book online.

Careers Adviser Gemma Witts  (g.witts@kent.ac.uk) is one of the three University of Kent’s Careers Advisers and looks after KBS with her colleague, Employability Adviser Liz Foden (e.r.foden@kent.ac.uk) – scroll down to get to know them.

gillingham-building-map-cesCES: Medway (open daily)

Careers Resources Room opening times: (G0-06, Gillingham Building) is open from:

• 9:00 – 21:00, Monday – Friday during term-time (contact Estates in the Medway Building if the room is locked).
  • 9:00 – 17:00, Monday to Friday during the vacations

Drop-ins: G0-06, Gillingham Building, Mondays – Fridays (term-time only) 14:00-15:00
Appointments: Contact medwaycareers@kent.ac.uk / Telephone: 01634 888876

Sail & Colour Loft, Historic Dockyard, drop ins: Tuesdays, 10:30:-12:00.

Careers Advisers are Amy Wiggins (a.j.wiggins@kent.ac.uk) and Natalie Basden (n.basden@kent.ac.uk) – scroll down to get to know them.

Meet the CES staff who are closely working with KBS:

Gemma Witts, Careers Adviser (Canterbury)

Hi, my name is Gemma Witts. I am a Careers Adviser based in the Careers and Employability Service on the Canterbury Campus here at the University of Kent. I work with a number of schools in the Faculty of Social Sciences, including Kent Business School. Some of you may recognise me from my previous role as an Employability Adviser here at Kent.

You can book a career guidance appointment with me here in my office at the Careers and Employability Service by contacting 01227 823299 or by booking online through Target Connect . I will also be running a variety of workshops and presentations throughout the term.

Before working at the University I worked as a Careers Adviser for the Connexions service where I provided guidance in a variety of school and community settings. I was also a partner in an independent career guidance consultancy called PathMakers Careers. It was exciting to develop and grow the business. I have previously worked for the Diocese of Canterbury in a marketing and events management role and have worked for Canterbury City Council as a Visitor Services Officer. I am also on the management group of a local charity.

I have two beautiful dogs that I love to take on long walks along the beach. I am a big Scottish Rugby fan and I do sometimes embrace my inner geek by playing Pokémon and geocaching!
I look forward to meeting you and hope that you have a fantastic term!

Liz Foden, Employability Adviser (Canterbury)

Hello, my name is Liz Foden and I am the Employability Adviser for Social Sciences. You may see me delivering an employability workshop or at our drop-ins – so do come and say hi! I am available for CV and application advice, as well as interview tips. The Careers and Employability Service (based next to Keynes College) run daily drop-ins from Monday – Friday; 10.30am – 12.30pm and 2pm – 4pm. If you have any quick queries regarding your CV, covering letter or an application, come see one of our Advisers during these hours, just drop by!

I have recently started my role as an Employability Adviser, prior to this I worked in the School of Politics and International Relations.Before working at the University I studied History BA and volunteered at Brogdale Collections in Faversham, as an Events Assistant. This involved promoting the charity and organising fundraising events; it gave me a great insight into event organisation and the charity sector.

Outside of work I am into sport. I play for Kent’s staff netball team Kent Unicorn’s. We have just entered the Thanet District League, to play competitively. This has been great fun, not just to play netball, but also to meet staff from other departments at the University. I have also recently taken up running, where I completed my first 10K run earlier this year. This was definitely a challenge, but one I was pleased to achieve, and I now have the running bug!

I look forward to meeting you in my new role.

Amy Wiggins, Careers Adviser (Medway)

Hello, I’m Amy Wiggins, a Careers Adviser for the University of Kent based at the Medway campus.  I’ve been working at Kent since January 2010.  Prior to that, I completed the graduate scheme at Enterprise Rent-A-Car where I worked for three years.  I’ve also had experience in running my own photography business.

I didn’t always want to be a Careers Adviser.  In fact, I’m embarrassed to say that I came out of a careers appointment at school and said to my friends that the adviser ‘obviously couldn’t decide what to do with her career, so became a Careers Adviser!’  But having learnt quite a bit about different career theories, I am a firm believer in John Krumboltz’s theory of ‘planned happenstance’.  This theory recognises the fact that opportunities, as well as setbacks, do arise throughout your life, all of which can impact your career path.  I don’t think I would have even considered becoming a Careers Adviser until I worked in a shared office with the (then) Careers Service in my role as a Volunteering and Skills Development Co-ordinator.  And I probably wouldn’t have got the job as the Volunteering Co-ordinator without the voluntary work I did alongside working for Enterprise Rent-A-Car.  So although when I got involved with charity work I wasn’t working towards becoming a Careers Adviser, it put me in a better position to make the most of the opportunities that were available.

When I’m at work, you’ll find me either in my office (G0-10) in the Gillingham Building or out and about around the campus. Outside of work, you’ll usually find me paddleboarding along the River Medway or rock climbing. In March 2018 I’ll be taking a career break for a year to go travelling (I’ll be blogging on www.travelpaddlecamp.com, excuse the plug), so if you want to get in touch with a Careers Adviser at Medway, it’s best to email medwaycareers@kent.ac.uk and either myself or my colleague Natalie Basden will be able to help.

Natalie Basden, Careers Adviser (Medway)

Hi, I’m Natalie Basden, a Careers Adviser at the Medway campus of the University of Kent. I’ve worked here for over five years now and love it! Before that I was a Careers Adviser working for Medway Youth Trust, where I supported young people in schools, as well as in the community.

Other roles have included working as a Learning and Development Coach at John Lewis and being a recruitment consultant for Manpower. I also worked for Iceland Foods for five years whilst doing A-Levels and then my degree, so I know what it’s like trying to balance work with study! My worst job was a temporary role selling double glazing. I hated it but some of my colleagues loved it – each to their own! It’s important that you find a career that suits your skills, values and interests – it’s a process that takes time but the Careers and Employability Service can help you. You also need to be adaptable and open to opportunities. Most people change careers several times during their working life.

Outside of work I play netball for a team in a local league. I also have two cats that rule the house! My favourite food is chocolate and you will often find me at the campus vending machines.

You can book a career guidance appointment with me through Target Connect or if you have a quick query come along to one of our drop-in sessions. I look forward to meeting you!