Updated 11 January 2021: for now, during the current lockdown, the Templeman Library is open with the services below.
We are keeping opening hours and services under review and they may change in line with any new Government guidance. Your safety and wellbeing are our priority.
This blog post describes the services in the Templeman Library. For services and opening hours of the Drill Hall Library, check the Drill Hall Library website under “Latest News”.
Opening hours and building access
In line with the Government’s lockdown guidance, we can only provide library access to Kent students and staff from Monday 11 January – we are sorry that we can’t allow access for visitors or external borrowers.
We can only allow a limited number of people in the Library, so please consider whether your visit is essential:
- You may have to queue to enter – use the occupancy checker to see how busy the Library is.
- Use LibrarySearch Digital to check for a digital version of the book or resource you need.
- No KentOne Card: No access – you will need it to access the building, you can’t borrow books/print without it
- Wear a face covering before you enter the building and in all library spaces (unless you’re exempt, as per government guidelines)
- Study alone – do not gather or work in a group
- Do not move tables, desks or chairs – they are arranged for social distancing purposes.
Books you have on loan
You won’t have to return any books you have on loan until at least 26 February. There’s no need to come to campus to return books.
More information about borrowing from the Templeman Library.
Services you can use
- Access to bookshelves
- Book a PC service
- Digital resources – use LibrarySearch Digital to see only what you can access online
- Document delivery service for articles only – books and photocopies can’t be requested
- Microform viewing
- Reserving items from the Kent Request Access collection in the Templeman Library basement (but not reserving items on loan to someone else or from the Drill Hall Library)
- Special Collections & Archives reading room – please email email@example.com with any queries
- Some Study Hubs / PC Rooms across campus
- Templeman Library study spaces and PCs (a reduced number to allow the distancing)
Currently closed or unavailable
- Bookable carrels
- Chill Out Zone
- DVD viewing stations
- Group study rooms / booths
- Laptop and headphone loans
- Library Café
- Reserving items on loan to someone else or from the Drill Hall Library
- Templeman Library day lockers (lockers are available to rent in Grimond Building)
- Vending machines
- Visitor PC
- Water fountains
Your safety in the Library
These are some of the safety measures we’ve put in place:
- You must wear a face covering when using the library (unless you have a legitimate reason not to, as per government guidelines)
- Download the NHS Covid-19 Test and Trace app and scan in, using the QR code poster at the entrances
- An enhanced cleaning schedule
- Hand sanitisation stations at entrances / across the library
- Wipes for printers, PCs, study spaces and touch-screens
- Returned books will be quarantined for 72 hours
- Social distancing measures:
- a restricted number of people in the library at any one time
- one-way route around the library to avoid close contact with others
- transparent screens at the Welcome Desk
Studying and printing
There are socially distanced study spaces available.
Users are required to clean their work space before use with the wipes provided (available in dispensers).
The Laptop loans service isn’t available.
Using a printer? Clean the touchpad before use with the wipes provided.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or talk to Welcome Desk staff.