Cancellation of library fines, plus new due date and how to return your items

To give you certainty and reassurance in the current circumstances, we’ve made some changes to make it easier for you to manage your library loans. 

Fines and charges 

We have cancelled all outstanding fines for late return of Templeman and Drill Hall Library items for Kent students, staff and external borrowersWeve either removed these from your library account or will do so in the next few days – so please don’t pay them. 

Other types of charges, for example to cover the cost of lost itemswill remain on your library account until you clear them.  

Books now due end of July 

We have further extended the due date of all library items you have on loan. You won’t have to return your items until at least 31 July 

This also means you won’t be able to reserve items for now. We’ll review thisso you may have to return books in August/September if someone else reserves them. 

Returning library items 

25 May: we have updated our advice on returning Templeman Library items.

Contact us

Thank you for bearing with us. We are still working out some of our processes and advice, as these are unprecedented times for all of us.  

If you have any problems or concerns about borrowing, returns or fines, please get in touch and we’ll do our best to help: 

4 responses to “Cancellation of library fines, plus new due date and how to return your items

1. Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a final year LLB student and I had to suddenly ad unexpectedly fly out of the UK to my home country, Mauritius due to the COVID-19 crisis. At the time, I had 6 library books in my possession.

When I left the UK I left one of these books on my bookshelf in my campus flat : Flat 17 Room G
    Tyler Court C .As I do not know when I will be returning to the UK, I would be grateful if the book can be collected from my room and returned to the library.

The other five books are with me in Mauritius as I needed them for my exams, which are now over. At the present time, I cannot say for sure when I can return to the UK because Mauritian airspace is closed and there are no flights available.

The cost of sending them by post to the UK is prohibitive. I am therefore kindly requesting you to grant me some time so that I may have a better understanding of the way forward.
    Please note that my user name is tao24 and email address is tao24@kent.ac.uk

Yours Faithfully,

Tanya Obeegadoo

1. Dear Tanya, thanks very much for getting in touch. I have passed your query to the relevant library team and they will be in touch with you through our help system (you’ll have received a confirmation email as well). We’ll arrange to pick up the book from your room, and a colleague will be in touch to work out a solution with you for the others. Best wishes, Angela

2. I have a book on loan from BT via document delivery service. The received a notification that I must return by 30th April, but does not state that there is request on the book.

I will hold on the book until July
    or
    Should I return it, if so please let me know where I should drop the book.

My user name is rd52 and email address is reshmidf@gmail.com

Thank you
    Reshmi