The promotions application process opens on 21 September 2020 and closes on 13 November 2020
If you’re an academic applying for promotion, you will need to generate a list of your publications in the Kent Academic Repository (KAR) to include in your application.
How to produce your report:
- Log into KAR using your Kent username and password
- check your publications are all present and correct
- click on the Profile tab at the top of the page
- click on the Export tab
- click on Promotions Report
- the report will open and you can save it as a file
- check the report thoroughly
- Check and edit your report in Microsoft Word, adding the extra information you need as set out in the HR document Instructions for producing a publications list from KAR
- Check that the published outputs you wish to include in your promotions application are in KAR and that the details are correct.
- Register for an ORCID or if you already have one link your ORCID ID to the University of Kent You need to link your ORCID to the University of Kent for your ORCID to appear next to your name in KAR
- If you need to add your work to KAR use the guidance on the KAR webpages to manually add or import your works to KAR.
- If you are a new member of staff, add your key publications from other institutions to make sure you have a good publication history in KAR.
- Make sure each entry in KAR contains your full email address: A.N.Other@kent.ac.uk, not email@example.com.
- If you are unable to edit an entry in KAR, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll change ownership of the entry for you.
- You can add forthcoming items to KAR using the ‘in press’ or ‘submitted’ status.
- Do not use KAR as a record of you conference activity. Only conference items that appear in the public domain should be added to KAR e.g. papers, slides, recordings that are published in conference proceedings or on a website.
- Items with a status of ‘unpublished’ will not be included in your publications report.
- Conference Activity and events that are not published should be listed in the Invited talks/Conference activity section of your application, not in KAR
- You can manually add items or more information to your publications report by editing it after you have produced it from KAR
- The KAR item type “Monograph” includes the following publications: “technical report, project report, documentation, manual, working paper or discussion paper”. For a published book, please use the item type “book” or “edited book”.
- You need to add the details outlined in Appendix 2 of the Instruction for producing a publications list from KAR document (pages 15-19) (ie. preface any items published since your last application for promotion, or since your arrival at Kent, with the word ‘NEW’
- add the % and nature of your contribution to each item) to your report after it has been produced from KAR
- If you work in the Social Sciences or Sciences you may find the CRediT taxonomy guidance useful when you add your “percentage/nature of the contribution” to joint publications within your report
Need some advice about your KAR entries and producing your report?
Please email email@example.com if you require any further assistance with your KAR records, or you have any questions about your publication report.