Even the Grinch deserves Christmas

By Shalom Chuka-Ikedum, Global Officer and first year International Business student

A fool proof playlist to NOT be the Grinch this holiday

If you know nothing about me, just know I love, adore, and embrace the Christmas season. I could be a killjoy from January to October but once the clock strikes twelve on November first, best believe I’m competing with Mrs. Claus on sharing Christmas cheer. I begin waking up jolly for my 9ams, smiling at strangers and taking my music selection very seriously. However, understandably not everyone embraces this annual holiday with open arms. Fret not, this playlist is here to ensure you’re not on the family’s naughty list and Santa’s wanted list for ruining Christmas with your Grinch-like attitude!

This playlist is a composition of a few songs that keep me in the best mood throughout this season. I’ve attached a little ideal morning and night routine that pairs excellently with these suggestions.

WAKE UP

Start your day with some Michael Bublé “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas”. Then let Mariah Carey’s whistle notes levitate you off your bed and start your day with a little two-step shuffle.  I know mornings need an extra upbeat vibe, so here’s the track that’s escorting you to the bathroom this beautiful December morning:

• “Underneath the Tree” – Kelly Clarkson
  • “Jingle Bell Rock” – Daryl Hall and John Oates
  • “Christmas Isn’t Cancelled (Just You)” – Kelly Clarkson and Atlantic holiday.
  • “Sleigh Ride” – The Ronettes
  • “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town” – Jackson 5
  • “What Christmas Means to Me” – Stevie Wonder

• “Holy Jolly Christmas” – Michael Bublé

Do a little fashion show after the shower to some award-deserving covers of some my personal favourites. Hopefully they become yours too!

• “Santa Tell Me” – Ariana Grande
  • We know when Miley Cyrus covers, she *DEVOURS* and her “Last Christmas” rendition is no exception.
  • “White Christmas” – GLEE cast

Sia’s “Snowman” is top tier background music to clean up the fashion show aftermath.

NOW FOR BREAKFAST

Lip sync to the talented Brenda Lee with your makeshift kitchen utensil mic while “Rockin’ around” your “Christmas” themed (shared :/) kitchen.

Why not have a little karaoke session while you’re at it? Here’s my top selection to sing off-key to:

• “Santa Baby” by the original material girl, Eartha Kitt.
  • “Feliz Navidad” by Jose Feliciano has everyone feeling a little bit bilingual (oh, just me? Ok.)
  • “Let it Snow” – Frank Sinatra and the B. Swanson Quartet
  • “Mistletoe” by everyone’s childhood crush: Justin Bieber (extra serving if you know it word for word).
  • Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by Mariah Carey PSA: PLEASE SKIP IF IT’LL MAKE YOU TEXT YOUR EX.

Congratulations! You are now in the Christmas spirit and ready to tackle the day with a smile and occasional hums to the bops that kickstarted your morning.

AS THE DAY ENDS

You’re back home, it got too dark all too quickly and the harsh winds were unbearable. Thankfully it’s time to unwind.

Sip your ethically sourced hot chocolate, while wrapped in your favourite plush blanket and comforted by GLEE cast’s “Baby It’s Cold Outside”. Followed by Andy William’s ICONIC “It’s The Most of Wonderful Time of The Year”. Finally, Sam Smith’s “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” is the perfect bow to wrap up your day.

MY PRESENT TO YOU

Since it’s the season of giving, my present to you is a link to this holiday induced playlist wrapped in warm hugs with a little card signed “Hope you give it a listen & happy holidays!”

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5bwIJRzNpmlH6oNvuDyXN8?si=d6ff9d90212f4931