‘I was surprised by how quickly I was able to grasp speaking the Russian language’

Kent student Kieran Elsey discusses his experience taking part in the Russian language modules at CEWL.

As a student who had never studied any languages other than Welsh and English, I had never written or spoken Russian before starting the course, so I was a little bit apprehensive about undertaking this course at university. However, I could not have been more surprised and impressed by the quality of teaching.

Olga made learning to read and write a Cyrillic language fun and easy. I was surprised by how quickly I was able to grasp speaking the Russian language and to begin conversing with others. I feel this is down to the great way the lessons were structured and taught to the students.

Olga had an inclusive teaching style that made students feel relaxed and unafraid to make mistakes. She also made herself available to provide support to students through email and office hours. Classwork and exam preparation was first class, allowing students to feel less pressure when preparing for the examinations.

All in all, Russian for beginners and post beginners were great modules and I extremely enjoyed the course.

Find out more about the World Language Modules you could take at CEWL!