Kent CELTA alumna now teaching in China

The CELTA course at the University of Kent is an excellent means of enhancing your employability. It is one of the most globally recognised qualifications for teaching English to speakers of other languages which will enable you to apply for teaching posts either overseas or in the UK. It is regarded by employers as providing sound initial training and a strong basis from which to develop as a teacher of English.

Cansu George successfully completed the CELTA course at Kent in July 2014 and is now currently working as an English teacher in China. She recently got in touch with us to share her experience:

“I completed my CELTA in 2014 at the University of Kent. It was one of the best experiences I have had in terms of my teacher training.

After spending some time in London and also completing my MA TESOL, I decided to move to China! I am currently working in a private secondary school and teaching English to 13 – 15 years olds. I must say that my CELTA has been really useful in terms of my work permit as a degree in itself is not enough to get this in my province, as you also need to have two years of full-time experience, which I did not have. However, if you have CELTA (amongst other qualifications) you do not have to meet this requirement. It has been only 3 months since I started to work here, I am having the best time of my life! Students are lovely and they love learning English! I recommend this experience to anyone who is thinking of going to China to teach.”

Applications are now open for our next CELTA course starting in June 2019. If you would like to find out more, please visit our website or email cewlcelta@kent.ac.uk