Kate Westbrook

History & Philosophy MA 2012-2013

Kate graduated from the taught Master’s programme in History & Philosophy of Art in 2013. She now works for an art dealer in Mayfair.

What was your course like?

The course was great, very well planned with lots of variety and opportunities to attend additional events such as the reading group and the Aesthetics Research Centre. The lecturers were very approachable and generous with their time. They really cared about us as students and created an inclusive and exciting environment in which to learn.

The modules were interesting and varied and I was very fortunate as the course gave me the opportunity to study something completely new. Having never studied film before, I was able to take a philosophy of film module, which was brilliant and gave me a whole new perspective and interest.

How did the course lay the foundations for your chosen career?

I would say that doing my MA at Kent really helped my confidence. I was very shy when I did my undergraduate degree and never spoke in class but the atmosphere at Kent, as well as the encouragement of the teaching staff, allowed me to feel that I could offer an opinion and it didn’t matter if I wasn’t totally correct. I believe that this has helped me to be stronger and more assertive in the workplace. The course also taught me to be self-motivated and disciplined in my work.

Could you describe your career path since leaving Kent?

I graduated in October 2013 and found a great job in Mayfair that I feel very lucky to have. I work for a very well respected art dealer and am learning a huge amount about the business. The role is varied and challenging and I am really enjoying it.

Do you have any other happy memories of Kent that you would like to share with us?

A couple of people on my course organised a trip to Venice for the Biennale and we received funding from the University, which made it a really affordable trip. We had an amazing time, we saw so much art, such as that pictured, right, and made the most of our time there. We really bonded as a group and have kept in touch since; I feel as though I have made friends for life.

Finally, what advice would you give to graduates thinking of coming to Kent to study at postgraduate level?

I would say do it, I’m so glad that I did. It was scary leaving my job and all the security that that brought and going back to university at the age of 32, but my time at Kent was honestly one of the happiest, most fulfilling experiences of my life. I would do it again tomorrow if I could!