Arts and Culture at Medway

Kent student, Arun Silva, shares his experience of getting involved with arts and culture at Medway campus.

‘When I started my degree in music at Medway, I was introduced to the cultural scene through GK Music Society, which would organise live music evenings at Coopers Student bar on the Medway campus.

‘In my second year, when I became President of GK Music Society, The new Student Hub had opened, and we began running GK Music Society events showcasing student music talent on Tuesday nights at The Deep End.

‘In the past two years, I have organised and run Music Society events that became known as “Tuesday Nights” at The Deep End and live music performances at Cargo Bar, Medway. These events featured students and external artists, which have brought the student community together and provided a platform for them to perform.

I have enjoyed being part of the cultural and music environment at Medway, which has provided me with opportunities to get involved with a variety of projects and contribute to the student experience

‘I have also been involved in organising the Dockside Live concert series at Medway (via Arts and Culture Kent), bringing in live music acts from music professionals to budding artists and student performers at the Galvanising Shop Cafe.

‘The Medway campus including the Historic Dockyard has also been home to student ensembles, the University of Kent Medway choir and orchestra who have performed at term end concerts.

‘Another experience of arts and culture has been working with the Medway Amateur Drama Society (MADS) for performances of musicals. Shows such as Our House and The Adams Family have been great fun for students and provided the community with entertainment.

‘I have enjoyed being part of the cultural and music environment at Medway, which has provided me with opportunities to get involved with a variety of projects and contribute to the student experience.’

Find out more about arts and culture societies at Medway.