The Gulbenkian: On-campus theatre, cinema, and much more

Kent student, Imogen Dodds, shares how The Gulbenkian and her involvement with the arts and culture centre has added to her experience.

‘My first impression of The Gulbenkian was during the Welcome Fair, I was about to start my Film Studies degree and I was just desperate to immerse myself in film as much as possible. As I was getting a bit lost amongst all the flyers, I remember being greeted by a warm smile and invited to join a group called Gulbenkian Associates that hoped to give students the chance to have their say on how the on-campus cinema and theatre was run.

I’m very grateful that the Gulbenkian is here, it has undeniably enriched my experience of university and broadened my taste in film

‘I’ve been a member of Gulbenkian Associates, now with the slightly jazzier name of Gulbenkian Uncovered, throughout my four years at university. I found that Gulbenkian was a place that not only listened to my ideas but worked with me to realise them. Together the group wrote and put in a funding application that kick-started the annual freshers outdoor cinema screening, my proudest achievement is definitely convincing them to screen Jurassic Park on a nine-foot inflatable screen.

‘It was how open Gulbenkian was to me, to my passions and my ideas, that led me to apply to work with them for my third year placement. The year I spent working there opened, and continues to open, so many doors for me. I have been able to go on to publish my film reviews and even organise my own film festival because of Gulbenkian.

‘I’m very grateful that the Gulbenkian is here, it has undeniably enriched my experience of university and broadened my taste in film (I never would have stumbled across the late and infinitely great Agnes Varda without it). And I know that it will continue to open doors for so many more people in the future, just as it has for me.’

Gulbenkian’s student offers

• Join as a member for only £5 a year – discounts across film, theatre and cafe.
  • 2 for Tuesdays – Gulbenkian’s half price cinema night for students.

Read more about what the Gulbenkian can offer you