Frequently asked questions
- Can my presentation be more than 1 slide?
No, only 1 static slide is permitted, which should be presented from the beginning.
- What happens if I cannot attend the Final?
The winner of each heat or final is expected to represent the University at the next stage of the competition. If the winner is unable to attend the final, the runner-up will proceed to the next round of the competition.
- Can sound or video be used during a presentation?
No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) is permitted during a 3MT presentation.
- Can palm cards or speech notes be referred to during a presentation?
Yes, palm cards and/or speech notes are acceptable, however, this option may detract from the delivery of the 3MT and is not recommended.
- Can additional props be used during a presentation?
No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted during a 3MT presentation.
- What happens if my presentation lasts longer than 3minutes?
If a presenter continues speaking after the 3 minute timer has ended, they will be automatically disqualified.
- Will my 3MT presentation be recorded?
At minimum, the University finalists will be recorded.
- How can I time myself?
Type ‘3 minute timer’ into Google and use the stopwatch at the top of the results page.