Scholar Profile: Laura Dyball

Laura talks about her research and experience as a GCDC doctoral scholar at the University of Kent

Laura Dyball (center), PhD candidate in the School of Biosciences

What is the project?

This project aims to develop a new mammalian cell-based vaccine manufacturing platform which can be utilised by our partners in Southeast Asia in order to provide rapid, cheap and effective vaccines to combat tropical diseases which impact lower-middle-income countries (LMICs) in the region. This work currently involves the investigation and production of new and modified cell expression technologies which are being targeted towards a vaccine for dengue fever, which is a rising concern in Thailand. Alongside this, we are investigating the development of anti-dengue monoclonal antibodies and their expression in mammalian cells that could be used for the treatment of, or as vaccines of, Dengue fever.

Why Dengue Fever?

Risk of dengue fever has increased dramatically worldwide in recent decades, including an epidemic in Thailand in late 2018 which resulted in nearly 40,000 cases across 77 provinces. The virus is transmitted via mosquitos (Aedes aegypti) whose populations have seen an increase in the face of climate change, a possible factor in increased incidence of the disease. Dengue virus is actually endemic in most tropical and subtropical countries, including Latin America, India and South East Asia. The World Health Organisation (WHO) position paper on dengue in July 2016 suggests that the global annual incidence could be 50-100 million and that in 2013 there was approximately 3.2 million severe cases and 9000 deaths mainly occurring in LMICs. Thus, this project could ultimately have an impact across a wide range of countries and their populations in tropical and subtropical areas.

The virus causes severe flu-like symptoms which can progress into dengue haemorrhagic fever which is life-threatening, especially to younger children and weaker adults. The mortality rate for dengue fever, if left untreated, can jump from 1% to 20% and is a serious risk in LMICs where access to medical intervention may be limited.

What practical skills have I learned so far?

So far, I have completed a basic training schedule of common laboratory practices for research of this nature. This has included work in tissue culture and an introduction to the upkeep, modification and harvesting protocols involved in our mammalian cell lines. It has also included guidance on the molecular cloning and expression system protocols that we use here at Kent. I have now moved on to the first stages of my research and am currently working to create the genetic constructs I intend to use for my first experiments.

What opportunities have been available to me?

This work has been aided by the provision of sequences developed by our partners in Thailand. Currently we have plans to fly out to Thailand, in which I will get the opportunity to meet them in person and see the facilities there at the National Biopharmaceutical Facility in Bangkok.

I also recently attended my first scientific conference, which was the 5th Annual Science Meeting held by BioProNET in London. This was an excellent chance to witness information exchange, marketing and networking in the scientific community. I have also registered for the next BioProNET meeting in Manchester and look forward to contributing with a poster presentation of my work at Kent.