Student Experience of Employability Points

By Ayodele Okwusogu

As a first-year university student at the University of Kent, I started my journey towards enhancing my employability points by signing up for online workshops. The Employability Points Scheme at the University of Kent operates is a simple process where students are rewarded for active engagement in co-curricular activities that go beyond their academic pursuits. These activities, deemed as co-curricular, are optional and non-credit bearing, which creates a space for students to explore their interests and develop skills that are transferable within the professional world.

In my first year, I eagerly delved into various online workshops, each designed to impart practical and transferable skills. From mastering project management tools to honing my communication abilities, these workshops became more than just a checkbox on my university to-do list—they were building blocks for my future. The beauty of these co-curricular activities lies in their diversity; they can encompass anything from joining a student group to attending events or even working part-time.

One significant aspect of my journey was recognizing the value of my part-time work experience, which the Employability Points Scheme not only acknowledges but rewards. By logging my part-time work, attended workshops and the different societies I joined, I was able to accumulate Employability Points, further reinforcing the idea that real-world experiences are invaluable contributors to one’s professional growth.

In the digital age, I realized the importance of establishing an online presence. Inspired by the workshops and armed with my part-time experience, I signed up to the LinkedIn workshops. Crafting a compelling profile not only showcased my skills but also opened a gateway to a vast network of professionals and job opportunities. The Employability Points Scheme, recognised the importance of building a robust online presence, which added another layer to the reward system.

The true beauty of Employability Points lies in their versatility. These points serve as a currency that can be cashed in for exclusive internships, work placements, training programs, and more. It’s not just about accumulating points; but it’s also about using them strategically to further one’s job prospects and gain hands-on experience in diverse fields.

As I progressed through my university journey, the Employability Points I earned allowed me to access exclusive opportunities that would have otherwise been elusive.

In essence, the Employability Points Scheme at the University of Kent has transformed my university experience. It’s not just about earning a degree but about embracing every opportunity to grow and evolve. The co-curricular activities, rewarded through Employability Points, have become integral to shaping my narrative, making me a well-rounded candidate ready to face the challenges of the job market.

Seizing these opportunities will allow you to unlock those Employability Points, and embark on a transformative journey that will resonate throughout your university years and beyond.