A Legal Internship with TMLEP

EP caught up with final year Law student Sophie Heron, who is completing a summer internship with TMLEP: The Medical-Legal Experts Practice

TMLEP is a pioneering independent clinical practice, providing clinical investigations, analytics and healthtech solutions to healthcare providers, insurers, lawyers, and regulators across the globe. With a UK office based in Ashford, they have been sponsoring the Employability Points scheme for several years, offering fantastic legal internships which consistently provide students with invaluable experience, often offering interns graduate positions at the end of their placement.

Sophie has been acting as a Pre-Litigation Analyst during her time at TMLEP, which provided her with invaluable insight into the medico-legal sector and the process of clinical negligence claims. The placement has been challenging but also very enjoyable – Sophie found the team at TMLEP to be incredibly welcoming with a very friendly work culture, and along with the provision of an excellent induction and further training, this made it all the easier to settle in. As Sophie summarised:

“One of my biggest take-aways from this experience is the impact it has had on my ability to communicate and resolve issues effectively. I spent a lot of time liaising with our clients and doing all I can to resolve any problems for them quickly and effectively. As a result, I definitely feel I have improved my communication skills as well as my overall confidence. This placement has not only improved my medical-legal knowledge but has honed a number of skills causing me to feel more well-rounded.”

Alexander Acaster is the Director of Global Operations at TMLEP and is the trusted organiser of the EP internships with the practice – he has always been impressed with how excellent the candidates are from the pool of University of Kent applicants, and certainly has no reservations about sponsoring the EP scheme going forward. He summarised that Sophie has really impressed the team whilst on placement with them:

“It was great to have a student who could pick up the work so quickly. She has had a positive impact on our team and has taken on a workload akin to her full-time colleagues.”

Sophie offered some final words of encouragement to current and future students:

“I would encourage any and all future students to become involved in this scheme. There are a number of opportunities available to suit anyone and everyone. The skills and experience that I am taking away is invaluable and would not have been so easily accessibly without employability points.”

So, what are you waiting for? Get involved and get rewarded!

Find out more about TMLEP here, and consider applying for this excellent opportunity with them next year!