Medway Council: Reward Case Study

Medway Council is the regional council for the Medway area, Kent.

Medway Council have sponsored the EP Scheme since 2012 and during this time 107 rewards have been offered to students across the council. Consequently, students have gained valuable experience in policy, procurement, finance, legal, public health, youth work, public services and social care, to name a few.

In 2017-18, 27 rewards were offered to EP students and the team caught-up with Jadine Ingram (School of Engineering and Digital Arts), who was undertaking an internship in Child Services. Here, Jadine was tasked with researching the Care Leaver’s Offer, creating web content and designing marketing materials.Due to the nature of the internship, Jadine was required to gather a comprehensive understanding of the Care Leaver’s Offer, which led to her networking across the council and setting up focus groups with young adults currently leaving care.

“I have been given lots of responsibility, which is amazing”, Jadine said, “I thought I would be assisting but I have been given real responsibility.”

When summarising her experience at Medway Council, Jadine stated:

“I have been able to apply my academic skills to real life situations including design, research and planning projects…whilst I have also gained an insight into the world of social care. [The internship] has been both fascinating and eye opening and I would recommend this experience to anyone from any academic background.”

As a result of the internship, Jadine is now considering a career where she can utilise her digital skills to the benefit of local communities

In 2017, the EP team caught up with Chris Day (School of History), Justin Joseph (School of Computing), Ronnie George (Kent Business School), Kristina Sekareva (School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research) and Quynh Tran Nguyen (School of Psychology).

Chris undertook an internship in the Housing Department, where he worked on a range of projects, including one focusing on homelessness in Medway. Chris particularly appreciated the fact that his work was going to have a real impact on the people living in Medway and commented that it was a “great learning experience.”

Justin worked in the Early Help Team, redesigning the website and overseeing the transition to the Direct.Gov website. Justin was required to deploy both technical and project management skills, collaborating with a range of stakeholders.

Ronnie gained the chance to spend 2-weeks in the Auditing and Counter Fraud team, where he gained the chance to attend fraud investigation visits, assist with live cases and partake in an internal audit. Reflecting on his experience, Ronnie commented that it was “unforgettable and precious.”

Kristina gained the chance to intern with Youth Services, where she was tasked with planning and implementing a Youth Summer Scheme. In particular, Kristina organised a Charity BBQ to help raise funds to deliver a youth workshop!

Huynh interned within the Early Help Team, undertaking a research project where she interviewed individuals, transcribed and created an impact report. Huynh commented that she “gained a real interest in local government” as a result of the internship.

Again, in 2016, a number of EP students benefited from placements within Medway Council.

For example:

“My time at Medway Council has given me a fantastic opportunity to see all the hard work and persistence that is displayed by all the colleagues on a day to day basis. Being delegated ample amounts of responsibility has increased my confidence both in the work place and in my own abilities.  The EP Scheme remains one of the most rewarding things I have partaken in during my time at University and I remain very thankful to the scheme for giving me this amazing opportunity. I now strongly believe that having Medway enlisted as an employer on my CV will significantly increase my chances of securing a job in my field in the foreseeable future.” 

~ Porshia Boafo (School of European Culture and Languages) who interned in Heritage and External Investment.

And,

“My two weeks at Medway Council were very interesting and rewarding. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, they made sure that I was always happy and interested. I had the chance to fulfill a variety of activities including going to internal and external meetings as well as going to court. I have definitely gained lot and would recommend this reward to everyone. You get involved with plenty of areas of law and many different aspects of the everyday life of a council lawyer. I am still in contact with them and I would be thrilled if one day if I could be a part of the council as I loved it there so much.”

~ Giovanna Koulonti (Kent Law School) who completed work experience in the Legal Department.