Who ever said Economics wasn’t political?! Times are turbulent in this month’s round up, from mini-budgets to proposed tax-cuts, we can’t keep up! We also welcomed back our placement students and delved into racial prejudice in labour markets. All in this month’s RoundUp.
- We were delighted to welcome back our 23 economics Year in Industry students this month, returning for their final year of studies with us. Read about their journeys.
Blowing the Budget and Breaking the Bank
- Miguel Leon Ledesma on why the Conservative mini-budget is so toxic: read here.
- Dr Alfred Duncan on why removing interest on reserves would ‘tie one hand behind the back of the Bank of England’: read here.
- Dr Jan-Philipp Dueber on the price of purchasing Nutella in Egyptian supermarkets: read here.
Black History Month
- Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? Dr Amrit Amirapu discusses a paper that reveals racial prejudices in the American labour market, at the very start of the recruitment process. Read more.
Professor Miltos Makris, 1970- 2022
- Our friend and former colleague Miltos Makris passed away Friday, October 14th. He died peacefully surrounded by his loved ones. Read our Head of School’s tribute here.