‘Kent pushed me to be the best that I could be.’

By A level results day, Lydia Ifaluyi realised she had changed her mind about her UCAS course choices. That's when Clearing came in.

When Lydia Ifaluyi received her A-level results she had mixed emotions. Not because of her grades, but because she had been focused on pursuing a degree in Civil Engineering and part of her heart wasn’t in it. She had applied to study Civil Engineering at a different university and while she had been accepted, she didn’t feel passionate about her original plan.

‘I am so glad I followed my instinct, as it’s got me to where I am today.’

Economics was a subject she wanted to pursue instead and was recommended by friends that Kent would be a good choice for this subject. She looked into applying for Kent through Clearing, and she soon enrolled to study (BA Hons) Economics and Management.

Lydia and Director of Undergraduate Recruitment, Dr Luke Buchanan-Hodgman on an open day.

Lydia relished every opportunity at Kent, from being involved in mathematics and statistics clinics, to being a student ambassador here at the University’s School of Economics. She also took part in Kent’s i-Teams, a university-based programme connecting students from different academic disciplines to tackle real world business challenges. She went on to be an intern at Investtech, which was a stepping stone for her onward career.

Lydia’s graduation ceremony at Canterbury Cathedral, with Chancellor Gavin Esler.

Lydia graduated in July 2022, and has been hired as an Analyst for investment management firm Brooks Macdonald in London.

“I honestly believe that Kent prepared me for the real world. Using economic theory, soft skills and networking. I am so happy that I got to be a part of University of Kent.”