King’s School, Canterbury take part in charity walk in aid of the Parkinson’s Centre

On Sunday 22nd May, Steve Streeter (who was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 2015) led a team of IT support staff from the King’s School, Canterbury and their partners on a 7 mile sponsored walk from Canterbury to Chartham to raise money for the Parkinson’s Centre for Integrated Therapy.

Ann West, who organised the walk, said: “The King’s School, Canterbury chose the Parkinson’s Centre for Integrated Therapy as our Charity of the Year because it is a cause close to our hearts.  So many of us know people who have been affected by this illness and have seen first hand the negative impact it can have on the individual and their families.  We wanted to show our support for this extremely worthwhile cause as it will be hugely beneficial to people from Canterbury and beyond.  Our own friend and colleague, Steve, has been living with Parkinson’s for the past 7 years and the news of this Centre has given him, and others with Parkinson’s, hope.”

Steve Streeter added “Before my diagnosis I was a keen hiker so was keen to take part in this walk.  Parkinson’s has affected my mobility so I was thrilled to manage the whole 7 miles.  It was a lovely day and I was humbled by the love and support shown to me by my fellow walkers.  I woke up the day after the walk aching all over but it was more than worth it and, yes, I would do this again!  I would like to express my heartfelt thanks and admiration to the team behind this new Centre.  Such work and research gives Parkinson’s sufferers like myself real hope for the future and I am so extremely grateful to them all.”

The group began their walk in Westgate Gardens following the scenic route along the River Stour, taking in the gorgeous gardens and plentiful wildlife along the way before stopping for a pub lunch! They have raised an incredible £668 so far and can be sponsored online.